55 replies to this topic

#21 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

What happens if you create original text from NotePad, WordPad, and Works and then print it? What happens when you try to print something from a website?

#22 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

John -

What browser do you use?

Virginia

#23 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

John -

What browser are you using? I'm guessing a browser can make adjustments to the screen view. The technician temporarily fixed the problem with an adjustment to the browser. Say it was a compatibility adjustment. Then when you next booted up, say your computer reset that compatibility adjustment to where it was before, and you lost the fix.

There is a similar problem re Pedigree charts reported on another mailing list (Legacy) and I am checking on the browser in that incident. That thread started around the same time as this one. You can read that thread here.

Virginia

#24 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Just to give some more detail on what the image looks like. Normally you see the Pedigree Chart covering the entire 8.5" x 11" page. When you have this probably the entire pedigree chart is only in the upper left quarter section of the page. The remainder of the page is white space.
Renee
RootsMagic

#25 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

John -

What browser are you using? I'm guessing a browser can make adjustments to the screen view. The technician temporarily fixed the problem with an adjustment to the browser. Say it was a compatibility adjustment. Then when you next booted up, say your computer reset that compatibility adjustment to where it was before, and you lost the fix.

There is a similar problem re Pedigree charts reported on another mailing list (Legacy) and I am checking on the browser in that incident. That thread started around the same time as this one. You can read that thread here.

Virginia

Browser: IE 9.0.8112.16421

But I would ask again, what happens when you use WordPad, NotePad, or MS Works to creat text and print it?

Also most printer setups have an option to print a test page. Does that work?

#26 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Renee, the pedigree chart display is exactly as you noted; If you like, I will email you the pedigree chart and a photo pedigree chart. I need you email address.

Virginia, the browser is Firefox.

John, no problem with MS Works or Wordpad; they work fine.

When the "computer expert" solves the problem (I hope), he said he would look at the computer sometime this week. I will post what he did.

John

#27 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

No need to email your pedigree chart, I've seen lots of them. Since it's not a RootsMagic issue it won't help us troubleshoot or fix the problem.

It's what your "computer expert" figures out that will benefit all of us.
Renee
RootsMagic

#28 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

The "computer expert" looked at my computer today and worked on the RootsMagic problem. When I was in the computer area (not there all the time), I saw him do the following:

1. Checked the printer, monitor display, etc.

2. Removed malware and any programs that were associated with Rootsmagic.

3. Examined all the programs loaded on my computer (which took at least 15 minutes) and removed
many programs.

4. Unistalled RootsMagic and then re-installed.

5. Did virus scan. No problem with the scan.

6. He worked on the computer about an hour and was not able to resolve the RootsMagic problem.

Bottom line, I will have to live with the situation. Time to get back to my research.

Regards,

John

#29 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like the computer expert didn't look at the print driver settings and all things associated with it on your computer. This is the type of expert we need to troubleshoot the problem on a computer and printer set up with this problem.
Renee
RootsMagic

#30 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Go to "Control Panel", then "Printers"

Select your printer with the problem, You could have multiple printers.
Then select "Properties"
Then select "Print test page"

At least this is the sequence with Vista. Your version may differ.

Does the "test page" print correctly? Every printer I have ever installed on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Vista 32 bit, Vista 64 bit, and Windows 7 has provided a "print test page" in some manner. As I recall, most of then have a large font header. Then there is more text covering most of the page. It has a date, a version of the operating system, a driver version number. If the printer has color, a portion is printed in color. I have never had a "test page" condensed to just a portion of the paper.

#31 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

John,

The test page worked fine.

Regards,

John

#32 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

John, please navigate through your report settings to the Layout dialog window (accessed by clicking on the Layout button on the right side of the Report Settings dialog window). It should match or be very similar to this screenshot unless you have made some radical changes. Oh, maybe your parameters are in inches, not cm.
Posted Image

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#33 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

The problem is not with printing text reports, it's with reports that have images in them. The pedigree chart is generated as an image. That is why you see it cover a smaller area of the page. Finding a "Fit to page" setting is what usually controls this and not the report settings inside of RootsMagic. The test pages for your printer don't usually test images, they are testing the printing of text. That is why you can see a perfect test page but still have the problem with the image for the pedigree chart.
Renee
RootsMagic

#34 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Tom,

The "Page Layout" is in inches, not metric.

Renee,

I gave the "computer expert" a copy of all your comments about "Fit to Page" issue. I know he checked the printer settings and operation, no problems. He was adamant that the printer was not the problem; however, he could not resolve the problem.

Could it be that one of the programs that I installed after the setup and transfer of my programs and files from the old computer, on the 23rd of January, caused the problem. Remember on the 23rd, RootsMagic program worked fine --- I checked may of the reports and looked at the publisher.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

John

#35 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

John, let's try one step at a time. Can you take a screenshot and post it to a hosting site such as postimage.org? Then you can embed the image in a message here for all to see.

1. Create a Pedigree Chart - in Report Settings, click the Reset button - then Generate Report. Now you see the Report Viewer window, maximise it. Set the view to Fit Full Page (the icon with arrows in all 4 directions). That will fit one page at a time on the screen - not affect what is printed on the page.Take a screen shot and post it.

2. If it looks like the chart is shrunk on the Report Viewer, there is something amiss within RootsMagic. If not, then save it to PDF and share it on DropBox or SkyDrive or Google Drive. Post the public link here. If, now, it looks shrunk, there is something else amiss within RootsMagic. If not, then

3. Save it to RTF and post that file where we can get it. If viewing it in MS Word (I would be wary about trusting any other) it is not shrunk, there is likely no fault in RootsMagic except for

4. Print from RootsMagic to paper. If not shrunk, there is of course no fault in RM; if shrunk, the fault may be in RM or in the printer driver or something in between. So...

5. Print the PDF from Adobe Reader or the RTF from MS Word to test from them through to the printer. If shrunk and RM print was also shrunk but there was no such shrinkage evident in steps 1-3, the fault definitely lies outside RM..

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#36 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Tom,

I followed you instructions as noted in "1. Create a Pedigree Chart." Click on the link for the pedigree chart image.

https://imagizer.ima...90/841/e8uz.jpg

Regards,

John

#37 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I meant that you should capture and post a full-screen shot, including the full window of the Report Viewer. But, downloading and viewing the capture you did does clearly show a 5-generation chart filling about 2/3 of the page and the header and footer look to be normal. If this screen capture is from the Report Viewer, then I say there is definitely something wrong with RootsMagic and has nothing to do with printer drivers or settings.

Have you done a RootsMagic Reset Program Settings? Ctrl + shift + U

#38 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Tom,

Click on the link below which shows that the pedigree chart, which I posted before, is from the Report Viewer.

I reset the RootsMagic Program Settings (Ctrl + Shift + U), no luck.

https://imagizer.ima...90/853/6bc8.jpg

#39 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

John, there is a prior discussion (2012) of the same problem which ended inconclusively but with the suggestion quoted below which is more or less what I was about to make - install a PDF printer, set it as your default Windows printer, reboot Windows, try the report again. Let's see if we can put to rest that it is the Epson driver or setting that is at fault.

Ron -

You still have your Epson printer driver (installed software) which - if the Epson is your selected printer now - is still doing the formatting. You do not need a physical printer to generate your RM display.

If you go to RM Print Setup, are there any other printers listed there besides your Epson? Sometimes MS installs the Microsoft XPS Document Printer for example or you might have a PDF printer or even Fax (all of which worked for me with the Pedigree Chart display). Select any of the printers and try the report. If the pedigree chart display is correct, then the problem is more likely to be your Epson printer driver.

Or download one of the free pseudo PDF printers like CutePDF and try the Pedigree Chart with that. The pseudo PDF printers are handy to have in RM anyway for printing large charts to PDF for a commercial printer.

Virginia

Thread starts at http://forums.rootsm...pedigree-chart/

Edited by TomH, 14 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#40 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Tom,

Let me understand what you want me to do:

1. Install a pseudo PDF printer (this is new to me). Detailed steps, please. I am not a "computer expert."

2. When the PDF printer is installed, the "Print Setup" will list my Epson printer and the PDF printer, right?

3. You want me select the PDF printer as my default printer.

4. Reboot the computer.

5. Print the RootsMagic pedigree chart (If it prints the chart without any problems, then the problem is my Epson printer; if it prints the pedigree chart with a reduced-size pedigree chart, then the problem is with the RootsMagic program.).