55 replies to this topic

#1 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

My pedigree chart no longer fills the entire page; it only covers about half of the page. In addition, I have two photos on many pages that used to fill the entire page; now the photos now only fill about half the page.

I also noticed that the table of contents of the published book are now all underlined; they were not underlined before.

I now have a new computer to operating system 7.

Appreciate any input.

John

#2 MrClaims

MrClaims

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

I think the system is at fault here. Maybe get the old one back?;)

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Check the printer settings, for reports they are found under "Layout".
Alfred

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Are these differences seen in RM's Report Viewer or in MS Word? Are you using the same version of MS Word as before?

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

We have had several reports on this issue. As long as the RootsMagic layout settings are correct, then all things point to your printer drive settings on your computer. We are trying to track if this issue is with specific printer or not. So far people don't get back to us if they fix the issue so we don't know.

On your computer look at the printer driver settings and see if there is an option "Fit to page". If there is, switch that value to whatever it wasn't (if it was on, turn it off. if it was off, turn it on). Check if that fixes the problem and report back so we can learn from you.

The way you confirm its your printer driver settings is by using RootsMagic To-Go. Add your database and under options adding all the settings and then use it on a different computer, with a different printer connected, and test printing from there.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Renee,

I am using an Epson XP-310 printer and there is no "Fit to Page" listed in the manual. I tried a reinstall of RootsMagic 6 --- no luck; then I did a restore of the system to a week earlier, about a week ago, when RootsMagic publisher worked fine --- no luck. Should I reinstall the driver?

If I make a copy of the corrupted file to the RootsMagic-To-Go, what will that do. I am not sure what you want me to do. Detailed steps, please.

Regards,

John

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I'm afraid I can't direct you on your printer driver settings. Maybe you can Google where to locate them. What you are dealing with is a Windows/Printer issue. RootsMagic To-Go is not going to take those printer driver settings with you to another computer. If someone else uses their file on your computer they will have the same problem. If you go to a different computer with a different printer you won't see this problem. Your RootsMagic side of things is working fine so there won't be any issue with your file being corrupted. File corruption would be a totally different matter and not cause the weird printing issue.

You could try re-installing the printer drive but it may remember the setting that is causing the problem. You have to dig deep enough to find the setting causing the issue. If you contact Epson they would know where to find the "Fit to Page" setting.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

Renee,

I subscribed for a computer help service, the problem was resolved in ten minutes. They said that they had to reset the settings for the browser.

Anyway, all is well.

Regards,

John

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Do you know the steps they took to do that? Could you share them with us?
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Renee,

A summary of my steps to solve the problem:

1. I called Epson about the "Fit to Page" setting; they said the Epson XP-310 does have this setting.

2. I finally made a "RootsMagic-To-Go" on a flashdrive and installed it in another computer not connected to any printer; the RootsMagic program worked fine, all pictures and pedigree charts the right size.

3. I reinstalled the printer driver for the Epson --- no luck. I still had the same problem: pedigree charts and pictures were about half size.

4. I called System Mechanic Premium Services and gave them all the information that you had posted about this problem. I asked them to delete all the Epson files and reinstall the printer. They just listened.

5. They took control of my computer and we discussed the problem in more detail. He then went to four or five drop-down menus, checking various boxes (it was done quickly). Lastly, he used "System Mechanic" to check the system and clicked on the "keep on" function for many areas.

6. He then gave control of the computer back to me (the connection to the System Mechanic was terminated), and he told me over the phone to make sure my printer was turned on and try the RootsMagic program. Well, RootsMagic worked fine; I generated the publisher, and the pictures and the pedigree charts were the right size. What a relief, I probably have a couple hundred photos in the publisher.

I asked if him if he did anything to the printer files. He said did not touch the printer files; he just reset my browser.

Renee, I really do not understand how resetting browser corrected the problem. Anyway, all I know is that the RootsMagic program is working.

Regards,

John

Guess what, I tried RootsMagic just now and I have the same problem. I am going to get in touch with "System Mechanic" again.
I will keep you informed.

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Link to an Epson XP-310/41 Series manual in PDF form - ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/3768/epson376828eu.pdf

Description of setting "Fit To Page" - Page 46 (actual page of manual, not PDF)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

The Epson XP-310 for windows does not have a "Fit to Page" per Epson; however, this printer has a "Fit to Page" for the Mac os. My operating system is Windows 7.

John

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

The Epson XP-310 for windows does not have a "Fit to Page" per Epson; however, this printer has a "Fit to Page" for the Mac os. My operating system is Windows 7.

The manual is for both Operating Systems... Pg 46 even directly states "Product settings for Windows", but I've no reason to debate either way. Glad you got it working.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

John -

If your new computer came with MS Word 2013, you might see some anomalies in the formatting of some RM reports with tables or lines in Word. Word 2013 includes a complete rewrite of its table module.

Virginia

#15 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

I was on the phone again (about a 30 minutes) with Epson, and they had me print a number of pictures and did other checks. In the end, they said it is not the printer.

I again got in touch with System Mechanic and after an hour --- no luck. So, I will live with some of the reports displayed about half size (no big deal).

I believe this is a windows problem; RootsMagic 6 was working fine on the 23rd of Jan after setup of the new computer on that date.

John

#16 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

John -

You haven't said what word processor you are using on the new computer. ??

Have you checked the paper size (Start / Devices and Printers / your printer / Printing Preferences)?

Virginia

#17 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Virginia,

The only word processor I have is Microsoft Works 8.5 (that is what I had on the old computer with os XP).

Epson, System Mechanic, and I have checked the printing preferences, many times. The computer service that setup my new computer and loaded all my programs and files said that when they are in the area next week they will take a look at the computer. With the information I told about the RootsMagic 6 problem, they said they do not believe the RootsMagic problem has anything to do with printer.

When and if the problem is resolved, I will post the findings.

John

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Are you printing straight from RootsMagic or saving the report/book to one of the file formats and printing that file from some other application? MS Works is not capable of rendering well a RTF file from RM; MS Word is needed.

You also seem to be reporting a confusing mix of problems or using confusing language. By "displayed about half size", I think you are describing what you see in RM's Report Viewer; you control the zoom level in that view-it is not a fault.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#19 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

John -

Do you see the same formatting problems if you save the report to PDF?

Virginia

#20 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Tom,

Sorry about the confusion. Let me try to clarify what I see:

1. When I generated the "publisher" report, the pages that contain pedigree charts and photos were very small (I would say about half the size they were before this problem).

2. When I generated a just a "pedigree chart" report, the pedigree chart had the same problem: about half the size it was before the problem.

Virginia,

When I saved the pedigree chart to a PDF, I still had the same problem.

Anyway, when the "computer expert" looks at my computer this week, I will post what he did to solve the problem (He has about 30 years in the computer industry.)

Appreciate your inputs!

John