• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fluit

Fluit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

When in the "Edit Person" dialog box, under the "Parent Family Details", if you add a source to establish the connection between the person and his or her parents, the source gets assigned to all the person's siblings as well. This should not be an automatic feature. I have numerous sources in which only one or some children are identified as belonging to a particular set of parents. By assigning the source to all siblings as well as the person in question, it can create a false proof of the relationship of a person's sibling to the parents. There must be some way of making the sharing of the source with other siblings optional.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

It took me a while to figure out what you were doing.

I think that you were adding a source to the parents and don't want that source showing up with the other siblings.

Well, the source you add to the parents is their general family source, (the same with notes or media) and has nothing specificly to do with the person who is listed at the top of the edit person dialogue.

To add a source to just this person, you have to use this person's name or facts.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

On a child's edit screen, a family note, source, and media for the parents are displayed and can be edited for convenience, but they are not linked to the child.

The only family note, source, and media linked to the child are those for the child and a spouse.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

In all truth, RM doesn't really have family sources even though it has something which is called "family sources". The thing which is called "family sources" in RM is really just spousal sources. Family facts work the same way. They are called "family facts" in RM but they are really just spousal facts.

There are certain dialogs in RM where these spousal sources and spousal facts give the superficial appearance of behaving as if they really were family sources and family facts. But they aren't, and you have encountered such a situation.

I think there is a need for a very different kind of data structure in RM - namely, relationships and relationship sources. FamilySearch Family Tree has something like the "relationship fact" and the "relationship source" that I'm talking about. For example, a relationship might say that Samuel Doe was the son of John Doe or that Jane Smith was the wife of John Doe - that sort of thing. And you might be able to establish that Jane Smith was the wife of John Doe without ever being able to come up with a record of their marriage.

In my opinion, the spousal facts and spousal sources in RM do not map very well to FSFT and vice versa. You give an excellent example. You might have a source that establishes that Samuel Doe was the son of John Doe, but it might be a totally different source that establishes that William Doe was the son of the same John Doe. There is no really good place anywhere in RM to record a source for "Samuel was the son of John" and "William was the son of John".

Jerry

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

I add notes and sources for parental proofs to the Birth fact of the child. After all, there wouldn't have been a birth without the parents. :)

I also put any details and sources about a person's name in the Birth fact.

I have also enabled the description for the Birth fact and put the parent's name in the description. So I can have a Birth fact sentence that reads, [Person] was born< [Date]> [Place details]>< [Place]>< to [Desc]> and have my notes and sources for the parent's and name in the Birth fact to backup my assertions.