• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carol519

Carol519

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Rootsmagic 6 automatically assumes that if a marriage is entered for a woman, she has then taken the surname of her spouse. When she appears on reports, she has his surname. Is there a way to override this so that a woman who keeps her maiden name (or hyphenates her name with her husband's) can show up correctly on reports? Thanks!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

This is far from perfect, but I added another spouse, "Prefers maiden name" for the given name then her maiden surname.
That was for a divorced person, for one one just using the maiden name when married the spouse's given name would probably be a bit different.
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8243 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Rootsmagic 6 automatically assumes that if a marriage is entered for a woman, she has then taken the surname of her spouse. When she appears on reports, she has his surname. Is there a way to override this so that a woman who keeps her maiden name (or hyphenates her name with her husband's) can show up correctly on reports? Thanks!

What report are you seeing the women without her maiden name?
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

The calander is the only one that I can think of.
And there you have a choice.
Alfred

#5 Carol519

Carol519

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm still learning, so please pardon my ignorance.... I now see that on the calendar you can choose married or maiden names for all -- but that still doesn't make the 'married' name of my daughter-in-law come up as the hyphenation of her maiden and husband's surname. I've entered the hyphenation as an 'alternate name' fact. The problem is that for many women today, their 'married' name is their 'maiden' name. So if I were to generate a calendar, selecting the married name option, many women would have the wrong name. I wish there were a toggle switch that would allow you to "retain maiden name when married." If I entered that when I was given the family information by relatives, RootsMagic would remember it, and I wouldn't have to. Thanks for your responses!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8243 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic