4 replies to this topic

#1 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

About 6-7 years ago, I gave up Windows for Mac, and the ONLY regret I had was leaving behind RootsMagic. (No I did not want to run Windows on my Mac with Parallel, etc...)

When the first effort to use CrossOver came out (with RM 5, I think), I tried using RM on the mac, but it was buggy as all get out.

Last month, I decided to take a chance on RM 6 and an updated CrossOver, and I am SO happy. There are a couple of oddities, but in general, I am so thrilled to be back. I had forgotten how good it was. I've gotten so used to the "okayness" of Reunion that it's been a joy to rediscover the power of RM.

Would love to hear from other RM-Mac/Crossover users. What's new and groovy (in the last 5-6 years) that I should check out? And RM users of whatever platform: what's your favorite feature? I feel like I need to re-learn the program all over again.

- -Jillaine Smith
Bethesda, MD

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Welcome back.

I would search out and view the webinars which have been produced over recent years on the link below

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hate to say this but if you are hearing-impaired, the webinars are worthless because they do not have captions.

However after trying out several programs, I keep coming back to RM mainly because of the ease of saving reports in my WordPerfect.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I think the best thing about RM is what I call its data model. And by that I don't mean that it's built on SQLite and that I can run my own SQL against the database. The part of the data model that I'm talking about has been common to all the versions of Family Origins I worked with plus all six versions of RM.

What I call the "data model" includes the following:
  • that every event can have its own note and and its own sources
  • that birth, marriage, death, and burial are events just like all other events. It's not like FSFT where a birth source is only attached to the "concept of a birth", but rather in RM a birth source is attached to an actual birth event
  • that there is a place list with places and place details, and that a change to a place or a place detail within the confines of the place list immediately is applied to every reference to the place or place detail in the database (the source list and source details and citations are sadly lacking in this area, however)
  • that media can be connected to virtually any data object within RM, specifically including master sources
  • that multiple parents and adoptions can be readily entered to support complicated blended family situations (although reporting against these situations is not adequate)
The second best thing about RM is its ease of sending all manner of reports to files in a variety of formats (including RTF, PDF, text, HTML - but part of the HTML support has been deprecated). I think the report content needs some major improvement, but the ability to post process reports is tremendous.

Jerry

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

"Kahill1918@yahoo.com said:
Hate to say this but if you are hearing-impaired, the webinars are worthless because they do not have captions."
-
I wonder if it's possible to run the webinars through a text-to-speech engine, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, to get a written transcript. My experience using Dragon with a microphone was pretty good, although I had to do a careful proofread to fix errors from mis-pronunciations, unrecognized words, etc.

Gary