• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dan h.

dan h.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I have a number of people in my database but when I try to create a report only the person I want to start with shows up in the report. This occurs with any report I try to create.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Is this new? Have you sucessfully created reports before?

What are some of the reports you tried to create? What choices did you make on the report screens.

We need some specifics.

#3 dan h.

dan h.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

This is what I tried.

selected Pedigree report, and selected the following
1st person in my family tree (oldest member)
4 generations/page
chart no. of 1st chart 1
start person is same as 1 on chart 1
checked - print cascading chart
starting no. of cont. charts 10
no. of generations to print 10 (more than needed)
unchecked - color coding
checked - include private facts
checked - print preparer
other settings were default

Dan

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

There is no pedigree for the oldest person in your database.
There would probably be a pedigree for the youngest person in the database.
A pedigree is a listing of the ancestors.

There may well be descendants of the oldest person though.
Alfred

#5 dan h.

dan h.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

OK. You are right about that, Alfred. When I start with the youngest, I get the chart. Thanks for straightening that out.

But, it only gives me a chart for particular surname and not all the members of the family with different surnames.

Do I need to select a different chart to show all the family members? I only have 18 members in my database to start with. Or, do I need to generate a narrative style report to do that?
Thanks
Dan

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

What does your screen look like if you click on the Pedigree view, just above the main part of the screen and below the information of the highlighted person?

That is about what the prdigree report should look like.
If you don't have both sides of the family shown, then they probably arent linked correctly.
Alfred

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

For decendants of a person, you can create a Descendants list report. Or, for more information in the report, create a Narrative report for descendants.

It would probably be helpful for you to watch Webinar 2, Publishing a family history and Webinar 12, Lists and Reports. This gives quick overviews of reports in RootsMagic. There is a seperate webinar on Custom reports. And, there are webinars on the newer reports that have been added since Webinar 2 & 12 were made.

Go to RootsMagic's main website and select Webinars from the Learn menu.

#8 dan h.

dan h.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Laura and Alfred for your advice and help. I think I need to do some more studying to understand the differences between the charts/diagrams and reports to see which would best suit my needs. I have a manual for Rootsweb 4 but wasn't getting as much out of it as I wanted. Although I've been doing genealogy for quite awhile I just started to try and document everything using a Rootsweb 4 program that I was given some time ago.

I have started with three families, Walsh-McAllister-O'Hara, to see how the charts and reports connect the
families and all the descendants. So far, I haven't had much luck with the charts. They seem to want to show just one branch at a time even though I show the marriage connections. Probably not know what I'm doing. The reports seem to do a better job, but here again I'm still at the learning stage.

What I was hoping for with the charts is something like MyHeritage.com does, if I remember right. Their chart or family-tree maker links everyone and all the descendants. But, you have to subscribe to this service so it is expensive, at least according to a family member that uses it

Dan

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

If they aren't showing as they should in the pedigree, family or descendant views on the computer, they probably aren't linked correctly.

Each family view should show both parents and a listing of children below them.

Each pedigree view should show one person, his or her parents and their parents etc.

Each descendant view should show the eldest ancestor as #1 and all his children listed as #2 and their children as #3 etc.
Alfred

#10 dan h.

dan h.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, Alfred. I'll do some more testing.
Dan