Photo

Standard Place Names and RM (again, again)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

I sympathize with Laura's objections and wonder also if the collapse of the separate fields into one came about as almost a necessity because every GEDCOM exchange caused that to happen, perhaps resulting in mis-parsing the one Place value into the separate fields and great grief. That said, maybe there is a parallel to sources here: Free Form Places and Templated Places. There could be a US template, an Irish Townlands template, a Russian counties template... Then Laura could continue happily with Free Form Places, Jerry could be using mainly the US template, and Vyger mainly the Irish one. How's that folks?

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

And users were free to type in whatever "rubbish" they wanted to then nly limited by the character limt for a box.

But who considers what in a place name "rubbish" doesn't change the fact that having the parts of a place in seperate boxes takes more time and work to enter a place than having all the parts in one box seperated by commas.

#23 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3517 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

... Then Laura could continue happily with Free Form Places, Jerry could be using mainly the US template, and Vyger mainly the Irish one. How's that folks?

When are the elections... :D

And users were free to type in whatever "rubbish" they wanted to then nly limited by the character limt for a box.

But who considers what in a place name "rubbish" doesn't change the fact that having the parts of a place in seperate boxes takes more time and work to enter a place than having all the parts in one box seperated by commas.

I don't see why csv input can't be OK, and csv display can't be provided, separate fields for Place components may not be the way to achieve this.

However in my opinion RM at least needs to find a way to display a hierarchical Place List view as does FTM and that alone would help manage Places geographically.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#24 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Over 7 years ago I had posted an idea that included in part, "... let the user get into a drop-down list of names listed in the reverse sort order as used in the print all places command." At that time, other posters had a bad reaction to this idea.

Implementation of the "place detail" feature more or less has negated the need for my suggestion. If it were implemented, it would not change the database. You would just enter the data starting with the largest entity first, then the second largest, etc. Then finally the place detail. I have not used FTM for years, but superficially Vyger's statement sort of sounds like my thoughts from years ago.

#25 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3517 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

I have not used FTM for years, but superficially Vyger's statement sort of sounds like my thoughts from years ago.

FTM does not allow reverse entry although having that option would be very useful to building a quality geographic Place collections and would also help prevent inadvertent Place duplication which has always been a problem. Even without allowing reverse place entry FTM provides the option to display the Place List in reverse order (Hierarchical View) which is a great help when reconciling the Place List.

You can watch my Place Management screencast here, I do have to say the managing of Places is done well in my opinion. That being said FTM does not provide for true separate Place Details, nor does it provide for the attachment of Notes or Media but there are a lot of features I would like to see in a completely redesigned RM Place UI.

Posted Image

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root