• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 MauriceG

MauriceG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

Did anyone else suggest making a Shareable CD for backup purposes? Either keep it yourself or send it to a relative. If you feel the need you can also save a GEDcom to the same disk. Easy.

#22 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

The backup process could be enhanced by a couple of additions.
1] Add an automatic Gedcom creation that is placed in the default Gedcom folder.
2] Add a second automatic backup file that would be stored in a predetermined folder on a second disk drive or an external disk backup drive or a USB memory stick.

First, I know that I can do any of these procedures manually. Second, I know that producing a Gedcom file takes far longer than making a backup.

I wait until the end of the year and then purge all of the previous 12 month's worth of backup files down to the last one for each month.

#23 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Did anyone else suggest making a Shareable CD for backup purposes? Either keep it yourself or send it to a relative. If you feel the need you can also save a GEDcom to the same disk. Easy.

That is one way, but there are some drawbacks to using a Shareable CD/DVD.

The size of the CD/DVD is limited. I have too many media files to put on one CD/DVD. And, media files are put into only one subfolder so I lose my folder structure for media.

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Backup Media with Database - RAR
Backup Media with Database - 7Zip

I see no reason why this could not be incorporated in RootsMagic. It's on the wishlist.................

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3290 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Keep in mind, that one does not have to actually burn a CD/DVD, but instead take note of where Rootsmagic stores the files generated. Then copy (or move) all those files to any storage medium of your choice:
( Dropbox/ Skydrive / Google drive / USB thumbdrive / external USB drive / SDHC memory cards / ETC. )

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#26 DanS

DanS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

So my issue is a wee bit different. The Roots Magic data is perhaps the most important thing on any of the computers. Do any of you use an online backup service (to the cloud) that recognizes the Roots Magic database file (and not just the backup files) as a file to be backed up? We used Comcast's online service (and I think they got the backups), but they're no longer doing that. Any suggestions?

#27 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Every online backup service can back up a RootsMagic database file. The potential issue arises if the backup system contends with RootsMagic for access to the file. RM modifies the file with every change of view, let alone data edits, and that can drive some backup systems crazy trying to keep up and can waste a lot of CPU and Internet bandwidth. File contention might also lead to RM errors. So, its advisable to either exclude the rmgc files from a synchronizing backup/share service such as Dropbox or use a scheduled backup service such as CrashPlan.

If you use DropBox, Skydrive, iCloud, Google drive (all of which being active synchronisers), you can set the rm backup folder to be in the monitored and synchronized area and the database folder outside; be sure to create a RM backup before every major change. Alternatively, if the database folder is in the synchroniser's scope, then you should disable it while running RM.

CrashPlan is very interesting. There's a charge for backup to the cloud but it is free for backup to a local drive or to another PC running CrashPlan anywhere on the Internet. I have used them all, currently using the two free options and am very satisfied. It maintains 40GB and growing to my son's computer 100 km away.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#28 WilliamBurns

WilliamBurns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Tried several times to back up to an external hard drive but without success. Ancestry is no problem, all goes across and is totally accessible. RM goes across but my PC refuses to open it from the HD. Mystery.

#29 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

If you have a backup (RMGB) file you need to use File>Restore inside RootsMagic to open it again. 

Renee
RootsMagic