• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PQR

PQR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

I saved my pedigree chart as an .rtf file and want to edit it (like get rid of text that is unnecessary, add some places that don't show up etc.). I can edit the header and footer, but the body of the chart is a "picture". Is there some way to save this report as an actual editable report? My alternative appears to be saving it as a .pdf and doing an OCR on it -- which I think will not get the results I seek. Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

You have to open the saved .rtf file in a word processor to edit it. RootsMagic saves the .rtf file in a Microsoft Word .rtf file format. The rtf file may or may not be correctly displayed in a word processor other than Word.

#3 PQR

PQR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I did open it in Word; however, except for the header and footer, the chart is encased in a "picture" and not a text box. I had not run into this problem before. I just tried right clicking on the picture and it has an option to edit the picture. When I clicked on that, it asked if I want to convert it to a Microsoft Office drawing object. I did that, and now I can edit the picture/document. So, problem solved - I think!

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

I could have sworn that a pedigree chart saved as an RTF is editable, and that I have edited such charts before - maybe in FamilyOrigins or in RM1, RM2, and RM3???. But my tests confirm PQR's results. In an RTF file the pedigree chart is an embedded image and thus is not editable.

Jerry

#5 PQR

PQR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

If you do the right-click and edit while it is still in .rtf format, then you can edit it. However, if you save it as a word document and then try to right-click, it doesn't appear to work. Now that I know the trick, I can manage.