• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duflung

duflung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

I want Pedigree View to show real first name, not "Living" on ALL at instances.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:20 AM

RootsMagic shows a person's name in the Pedigree Chart. If the name is Living, that is what RM will show for the name. There is no choice to privatize living people for any report in RM.

A person's name is replaced with Living when exporting a gedcom where living people's names have been privatized. When importing those people into RM, their names will be Living.

#3 duflung

duflung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Laura, Thank you for your reply.

You wrote:
"RootsMagic shows a person's name in the Pedigree Chart."

OK, but my Pedigree Chart shows Joe Smith as Living Smith, it shows everyone that is not dead to have the first name Living.
I want it to show the actual first names.

If I "Edit Person" and replace Living in "Given Names:" field with actual Given Name ( as shown in Alt Name> Detail),
then my Pedigree Chart for that person is revised to shows the actual Given Name.

I don't want to do this 200 times, want to do it globaly with one stroke.

You wrote:
"If the name is Living, that is what RM will show for the name."

OK, as in name on birth cirtificate is Living Smith,
where you address the person as "Hi Living, that is an odd first name"

You wrote:

"There is no choice to privatize living people for any report in RM."
OK, no choice, but you get what the Pedigree Chart shows as first name,
and I have a lot of Living shown as first name.

You wrote:
"A person's name is replaced with living when exporting a gedcom where living people's names have been privatized."

Onced privatized ,forever privatized?

In RM6,Help>Inrex the word "privatize" and "Living" does not appear, that leaves me lost.

My Pedigree Chart display is privatized, how do you turn it on and off?

I have exported it to GED, "Privatize Living People" NOT CHECKED.
Opened the GED. My Pedigree Chart display is still privatized, all living people first name shown as "Living",
except the ones I have manually changed.

Note, if one would export to GED, and decide to Ckeck "Privatize Living People", The Names and Facts pull down choices could use some explamation.

You wrote:
"When importing those people into RM, their names will be Living."

Onced privatized ,forever privatized - seems to be true.

Where is the privitize ON/OFF switch?

Thanks, Bil

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Go to Help, Index and search for gedcom. Select Gedcom, Exporting. Click on Display. In the article, scroll down to c. Privatize options, i. Privatize living people.

This is how you privatize people and choose to have their name shown in the gedcom as Living when exporting a gedcom from RootsMagic. Other genealogy programs may have different ways to make that selection, but the result will be the same.

Living people in the gedcom will have the name of Living when imported into any genealogy program.

The only ways to have Living as the name of a person in a RootsMagic database is to import a gedcom that has had living people privatized in a gedcom exported from RootsMagic or other genealogy program. Or, the user enters the name as Living instead of a person's actual name.

RootsMagic has no option for any report to privatize living people and substitute Living for the actual name in that report.

If you have a person in your database with the actual name and the same person with the name of Living, you could manually merge them, editing the name of the Living person before you merge them. This can be done from the Merge, Edit person screen.

If you only have the Living person in your database, you will have to change that person's name on the Edit person's screen.
I never import a gedcom from someone else into my main database. I always import it into a new database. It only takes messing up your main database once to learn that hard lesson.