Photo

RM5 - Crossover - how get around no right-click?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

I am trying to return to Rootsmagic after having "had to" give it up when I left Windows for Apple. Previous attempts to use it via Crossover were so frustrating that I gave up. But I want to try it again in hopes that it's working better. Before I purchase the upgrade to RM6 though, I wanted to re-familiarize myself with it, and immediately ran into a problem.

It looks like there may be a number of things that require one to "right click" -- setting the Root Person for example. Right click on an apple (the mouse/trackpad of which has no right and left click) is normally control-click. But this does not work in RootsMagic.

I did find a solution that does work.

On your Mac go to the Apple Menu, then System Preferences. Select Trackpad. Apple refers to "right click" as "secondary click". Default is that this is not selected. For myself, I made clicking in the left hand bottom corner the secondary (right) click. THIS works in RootsMagic.

UPDATE: This situation also applies to RM 6

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Another settings method:

Tools->File Options->Root Person

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

It looks like there may be a number of things that require one to "right click" -- setting the Root Person for example. Right click on an apple (the mouse/trackpad of which has no right and left click) is normally control-click. But this does not work in RootsMagic.

I periodically consider switching from a PC to a Mac. There are a number of strong reasons to do so. But so far, I have always found many more reasons (and the reasons are very compelling) to stick with a PC. And one of the most compelling reasons is simply the left click and right click thing that a PC has and which a Mac does not.

Curiously, you can purchase a two button mouse for a Mac even though a Mac is never delivered with a two button mouse. And if you plug a two buton mouse into a Mac (and if the mouse is Mac compatible), then both buttons work and they do a very good job of supporting the left click and right click mode of operation, just like on a PC. I've never understood Apple's aversion to a two button mouse since I think a two button mouse is about 1000 times more useful than a one button mouse.

So you might consider just buying a two button mouse for your Mac. Disclaimer: I have no idea how well a two button mouse works with RM on a Mac under Crossover.

Jerry

#4 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Jerry, generally one achieves right-click with control-click on a Mac. And that works pretty much all the time, just not with RootsMagic (or perhaps it's any program run under "CrossOver"). I had no trouble making the transition from right-click to control-click, and it certainly shouldn't be the primary reason NOT to go to a Mac.

Frankly, my *only* hesitancy when I made the move several years ago was that I could no longer use RootsMagic. In all other things, the Mac has been wonderful.

Kbenson, thanks for the alternative route to making someone a Root profile. I tried to find such, but had not considered the path you provide above. Thanks.