• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Love Genealogy

Love Genealogy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

The option to create research logs within Roots Magic is wonderful. However, it would be nice to have more flexibility to do the following:
  • The ability to export the research log data to Excel.
  • The flexibility to move columns around within the table.
  • Increase date column width, so that dates line up when printed. An example would be 8 Dec 2013 and 14 Dec 2013. Days of the week with one number print on one line. Days of the week with two numbers such a 14 prints with two lines of print.
  • Multiple levels of sorting capabilities - date, then goal
  • Ref. # drop down menu include Doc. ID (even better the ability to rename column headings).
  • Hyperlink websites and documents on the hard drive
  • When the research log is printed, the words "Research Log" are included on the side of the document header, even if you add a custom title. It would be nice to be able to remove those words so that the title of the document stands out.
  • A tab on the family view to access a family research log.
  • The ability to add an item from the event list to the research log.
  • The option to import a citation directly into the research log.
Thank your your consideration of these enhancements of the research log feature of Roots Magic.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Save the report as a text file and import the text file into Excel or other spread sheet as tabbed delineated.

#3 Love Genealogy

Love Genealogy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thank you Laura for your suggestion.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8446 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

The Research Log really isn't a traditional spreadsheet with columns, but we get it to print similar to one. I don't think you will see the ability to rename those column headers. Most of what you are asking needs to be done in Excel after exporting the Research Log.

Hyperlinks are available using WebTags in the Research Log items.
  • When the research log is printed, the words "Research Log" are included on the side of the document header, even if you add a custom title. It would be nice to be able to remove those words so that the title of the document stands out.
On the item above go to the Report Settings and click on Layout>Header/Footer>Header Left Section and remove [Title] and replace it with whatever title you want it to print.

Not sure if we can get it to do have "Multiple levels of sorting capabilities - date, then goal", but I will put it in the tracking system as a suggestion. You can achieve that inside of Excel.

Not sure where you are looking to put "A tab on the family view to access a family research log"? You can add the Research Log icon to the Toolbar. If you select the Person Research Log it will automatically include any Family Research Logs assigned to them.

I am stumped on what you are looking for on this item - "The ability to add an item from the event list to the research log". What is the event list? Do you mean the To-Do Items? That options is already available.

The other items I have not mentioned are already in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Love Genealogy

Love Genealogy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hi Renee,

Thank you for your response to my post.

Most of my experience is with a different genealogy software program in which facts are referred to as events. RootsMagic uses facts on a timeline instead of events. I should have used RootsMagic terminology in my post. Sorry! When I was less experienced as a genealogist, I entered facts on a timeline, but not always into a research log. It would be helpful to choose a fact and have it import directly into a log as a new research item. Copy and paste will work of course, but less efficiently.

The Webtags are good for hyperlinking URL's on the research logs. It would be helpful to hyperlink to other documents and images on the hard drive. Using Laura's suggestion above for saving the research log report as a .txt file (tabbed delimited) worked. I imported information into an Excel file and with a few tweaks the Excel spreadsheet looked good and the URLS were active.

I appreciate your helpful suggestions on the research logs. With a closer look at the report settings, I printed a research log without the words "Research Log" on the left side.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3566 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Most of my experience is with a different genealogy software program in which facts are referred to as events. RootsMagic uses facts on a timeline instead of events. I should have used RootsMagic terminology in my post.

It's not exactly on topic for this thread, but it's definitely on topic for RM in general to note that internally RM refers to these things as events. Indeed, there is a table in RM called EventTable.

Well, strictly speaking, there also is a table in RM called FactTable. The difference is that something such as birth appears only one time in RM's FactTable but appears dozens or hundreds or thousands of times in EventTable. Which is to say, each birth that appears anywhere in your RM database appears in EventTable, and the purpose of birth being in the FactTable is to provide a name for the the various birth events as "birth", to provide a default sentence template for all the birth events, etc. The same concept applies equally well in RM to all such things in RM - death, burial, marriage, divorce, census, etc. There are many instances of each type of event, but only one instance of each fact type.

Personally, I think RM would have been better served by just going ahead and calling these things "events" in the user interface, the same thing they are called internally.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

The event or fact definition table is actually called the FactTypeTable, not FactTable. I, too, was initially puzzled over what difference there was between a fact and an event until I got inside the database. Maybe Alternate Name is the only "fact" because it's not in the EventTable ;-).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

RootsMagic is consistant with using Fact when running the program. That is all most users ever see.

Maybe FactTypeTable and FactTable would be too much alike to use as table names in SQL. I don't know what the naming conventions are in SQL, but, way back when, that would have been a no no in Commadore basic.

Or maybe, Bruce wanted the names to not be too similar so he could keep which table he was working with straight in his own head.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8446 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Confirming additional enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: research logs, research calendars, research log, research calendar