• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DorisW

DorisW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

When adding parents to a couple, on occasion, the wrong gender icon gets attached. In other words, in the family view, the “father” shows with the female icon. If I go into his view, he has a male icon, and is shown as male. The same is true of the “mother.” If I swap husband and wife, the same wrong icons appear, but now the wife is shown as “father” and the husband is shown as “mother.” This can happen even though I've correctly assigned “male” to the father and “female” to the mother. I tried indexing the database, and that didn't help. I also tried compacting the database, which resulted in an SQL error message, which I sent to RootsMagic. In a way, this error doesn't matter, because I know which one is male and which is female, but it does seem to be a problem in how the program is functioning.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

On the Family view screen, that icon doesn't show the gender of the person that is highlighted. It shows the gender of the spouse.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 DorisW

DorisW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Oh. That makes sense, now that you explain it. Looking at some other families, I see it's consistent, so can't be an error. I'll have to check on whether I can force it to use the right gender icon for same-sex couples, of which I've got a couple in my database. As you can tell, I'm a new user of RootsMagic, having transefered my database very recently from PAF. Many things work the same, but the gender icon is new to me. Thanks for the explanation. I'm liking RootsMagic. But when I run into things that work differently, sometimes even the 16 pages on how to switch from PAF, or "Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 6" isn't always sufficient.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

It shows an icon and a number, meant to show you how many spouses the person had.
Click on it and you will see a list of those spouses and a chance to add a new spouse.
Alfred

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

There is no way to change those icons to reflect the actual gender of the linked spouse.

I don't even notice the icons. I just look at the number of spouses.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#6 DorisW

DorisW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

I can ignore them. You're right, the most important thing is how many spouses, and who they are.

But I do want the number of spouses to be right. I have some cases from my original PAF file, which I inherited from a family member, which show "semi-duplicate" spouses. In one case, for instance, one spouse is shown with first name and middle initial, and a second spouse with first name and complete middle name. All the rest of the spouse's vital info. is the same. I'd just delete the one with just the middle initial, except that his person notes are more complete, plus one of his children shows descendants that are missing in the other "spouse." What's the best way to handle this? I've noticed that when I unlink people, they disappear completely, so that doesn't seem to be the solution. That would be OK if they were the first person I know in a lineage, because I can just add back in what I know. But in this particular case, it's a gg grandparent, and I've got that line back several more generations, which I do not want to lose!

So how do I get the two listings for what's essentially the same spouse collapsed into the same person, with the full middle name, the most complete person notes, and the descendants for all the children?

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

You can right click on one of them and choose "manual merge" with the other one.
You will probably have to do a bit of editing to correct some of the duplicate events or facts.
Alfred

#8 DorisW

DorisW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'll give that a try. I've seen that as an option, but not knowing what it meant, been a little leery about using it. The forums are so helpful! Thank you.

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was saying, "Icons? I don't see no icons." Funny how you can look at something every day and never notice it.