• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robbhaas

robbhaas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

When in one of the Notes editors and there is a word followed by a colon i.e. URL; - If you double-click on "URL" to change it to Bold, for example, the colon gets highlighted as well instead of just "URL" as it is in most word processor or text editor. It would be nice if this were fixed because anything that follows is also made bold when you resume typing.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can't reproduce this issue. When I double click on URL I don't get the colon included. In what part of RootsMagic are you trying to add the note?
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I can't reproduce this issue. When I double click on URL I don't get the colon included. In what part of RootsMagic are you trying to add the note?

I just ran a test and I got the same results reported by robbhaas. I went into an individual note for a person whose individual note was previously empty. I went into a Web browser and copied the content of the URL and pasted it into the individual note in RM. The URL began HTTP: etc. I double clicked the HTTP and it highlighted the HTTP:

Jerry

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2573 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

I just ran a test and I got the same results reported by robbhaas.

This is what was reported: When in one of the Notes editors and there is a word followed by a colon...
If I type URL; and then click on it, only URL is highlighted as Renee responded.

I went into an individual note for a person whose individual note was previously empty. I went into a Web browser and copied the content of the URL and pasted it into the individual note in RM. The URL began HTTP: etc. I double clicked the HTTP and it highlighted the HTTP:

I can doubleclick on the various different parts of an actual URL and get different highlighted pieces (with or without punctuation immediately following).
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

This is what was reported: When in one of the Notes editors and there is a word followed by a colon...
If I type URL; and then click on it, only URL is highlighted as Renee responded.

I can doubleclick on the various different parts of an actual URL and get different highlighted pieces (with or without punctuation immediately following).

'
Try this, Kevin:
Open a general note for an individual. Type these four lines:

URL: colon
URL; semi-colon
URL' apostrophe
URL. period

Now, double-click each one. URL: and URL' are completely highlighted. URL; and URL. highlight only URL without the following punctuation mark.

The same results are seen when substituting the word "note" for "URL", followed by the same punctuation marks.

I know that Macs have a default word break setting that can be changed to country-specific settings, but even that can be problematic. I don't know that Windows has such as user-configurable setting.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2573 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yes, Ludlow I agree, I was clarifying what really happened with a trailing semicolon, but my aim in mentioning the various parts of an actual URL getting different highlighted pieces was/is consistent with being non-intuitive. For example:

http://www.rootsmagic.com/

Clicking upon http <- highlights http: (with colon)
Clicking upon www <- highlights www (without trailing period)
Clicking upon rootsmagic <- highlights www.rootsmagic (includes www AND its trailing period)
Clicking upon com <- highlights www.rootsmagic.com (includes all text between the forward slashes)

In windows Notepad, http://www.rootsmagic.com/ gets completely highlighted when any part

In your
URL: colon
URL; semi-colon
URL' apostrophe
URL. period
example, Windows Notepad includes the word URL, the trailing punctuation always AND all trailing spaces up until the next word.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Observations noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

It sounds to me like this is a Windows issue, and probably occurs in many programs, not just RM.