• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NKemp

NKemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

When restoring from backup, the program wants to name the same as the original file. I assume that means it overwrites it. I messed up the primary tree and wanted to look at some old backups but I didn't want them to overwrite the original (even though it was a mess).

As such, I would like to be able to open a backup and rename it so that it does not overwrite the original.

If that already exists I cannot tell from the program operation

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

The solution is to change the location of where you restore the backup to. If it's the same folder where you already have a database by that name it will overwrite it. Put in a different folder and you won't have a problem.

If you want to File>Rename it after the restore you can and then move it to the same folder as the other database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 NKemp

NKemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thanks. That helps. When the screen pops up it only asks if you want to overwrite the original (as I recall).

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yes, it should give that warning. It's a last chance warning to stop what your doing if you don't want to overwrite that file and go back and change where you are restoring the file to.

Click on the "Restore to" button to change the location of where to restore the database too.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I like to rename my database before I back it up and then change the name back to the original name after the backup.

If you don't mind the database file not being zipped, copy the database giving the copy a new name which includes the date the file was copied.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

The solution is to change the location of where you restore the backup to.

I understand this solution, but I've never thought it was a satisfactory solution. To be able to restore to a different name in the same folder would be a vastly superior mode of operation. The current mode of operation is a recipe for disaster. I've had the same opinion about this issue all the way back to Family Origins days.

In the rare situation where I want to do a restore of my active database without actually overwriting it, my solution is first to rename my active database and then there is nothing for the restore to overwrite. Instead, the restore is to a "new" database. I can then open my renamed active database and my newly restored active database at the same time and investigate whatever problem induced me to restore my active database.

Jerry

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm not sure if it's possible to program RootsMagic to restore a backup with a different name. The name of the database is inside the backup and can't be changed externally. You have would have to restore then have it change, which would actually still overwrite the database that is in the same folder with that name. The reason I think this is because if you ever went into the Windows Explorer and right clicked on your RMGC file and tried to rename it just basically messed up your file so you can't open it. That's not the way to rename the file. It has to be changed through File>Rename inside RootsMagic.

I'm not a programmer, this is just my reasoning on why things are the way they are. The RootsMagician can do amazing things so I will add it to the tracking system as an enhancement request. I just won't be surprised if you never see it implemented.

Don't forget there is a safe guard to never overwrite your database on a restore with the warning that comes up. We just need people to read it.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 NKemp

NKemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

I can then open my renamed active database and my newly restored active database at the same time and investigate whatever problem induced me to restore my active database.

Jerry

And this is why I suggested (in a seperate post) that RM be upgraded to allow an edit screen for each open Databases so that you can compare the two entries without going back and forth. But I digress from this thread topic.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

And this is why I suggested (in a seperate post) that RM be upgraded to allow an edit screen for each open Databases so that you can compare the two entries without going back and forth. But I digress from this thread topic.

There is such a feature in RootsMagic, you use the Timeline view to make the changes as needed to the individuals.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I'm not sure if it's possible to program RootsMagic to restore a backup with a different name. The name of the database is inside the backup and can't be changed externally.

It is not at all hard to restore a backup to the same folder with another name. Indeed, it's almost trivial. You just have to think a little bit outside the box. (And I do understand about the name being stored inside the backup and that it can't be changed there.)

Suppose your active database is called Doe_Family and within all your backup files it's also called Doe_Family. And suppose you wish to restore a backup to the same folder without overwriting the active database. A SmartRestore could do the following:
  • Rename the Doe_Family database as Doe_Family_current_2013-12-06 (or whatever the current date is). THIS IS TEMPORARY.
  • Restore the backup of your choice for the Doe_Family database - probably but not necessarily the most recent backup. The restored database will be named Doe_Family. THIS IS TEMPORARY.
  • Rename Doe_Family to Doe_Family_previous_2013_12_04 (or whatever the date of the backup is). THIS IS PERMANENT unless the user subseqently does an additional rename. This is where you get the effect of restoring the backup to a different name in the same folder.
  • Rename Doe_Family_current_2013-12-06 as Doe_Family. THIS IS PERMANENT unless the user subseqently does an additional rename. This is where you get the effect of not overwriting the currently active database.
At this point, you have two databases you can have open at the same time - Doe_Family, which is your currently active database, and Doe_Family_previous_2013_12_04 which is the restored database.

Needless to say, steps #1 through #4 would all take place behind the scenes without any clicks required on the part of the user. The one question that the user should be asked should be before step #1, and the user should only be asked the question if the restore is going to overwrite the active database. The question should be: do you wish to overwrite, or do you wish to keep the active database and restore under a different name? If you say you want to overwrite, then RM would function as it does now. If you say you want to restore under a different name, then steps #1 through #4 would take place. In essence you now have two options which are overwrite and cancel, and my proposal would be adding a third option. So the total number of clicks would not be increased and therefore the overall clickiness of the program would not be increased.

Jerry

#11 NKemp

NKemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

There is such a feature in RootsMagic, you use the Timeline view to make the changes as needed to the individuals.

Hey ... you're right! ... But we knew you would be. I never thought of looking there and I don't remember reading that in the book. THANKS!

#12 NKemp

NKemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Suppose your active database is called Doe_Family and within all your backup files it's also called Doe_Family.

An option for the RM programmers is to automaically change the file name when it is backed up so rather than backing it up as Doe_Family they rename it before saving automatcally appending something like "_BUP" making the backup file name "Doe_Family_BUP". Then when you restore the file you can rename it to Doe_Family (or whatever you now want such as Doe_Family_V123.45).

I suspect (not having tried it) that if you renamed it the same as the orignal it would throw a warning sometime that the Doe_Family name already exists. That is OK since the user needs to manage it renaming one or the other database.

#13 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just won't be surprised if you never see [it] implemented.

That's not surprising.