6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Trying for first time to make a shareable CD. I get error message that database is locked (SQLite Error 5).

Asked to send/don't sent error report to Roots Magic.

Send selected.

Message sent according to crawl bar in little window that opens.

Goes back to "Collecting media...."

After awhile, I get same SQLite Error 5.

Loop continues until I force RM to close.

I use the DB daily. I wouldn't know how to lock/unlock the file.

What's the problem here?

After closing RM and reopening, the procedure appears to be working as designed.

Still like to know why the above occurred.
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I don't know why it did what it did, I haven't seen any reports on this happening. So I can only gather that either you haven't restarted your computer in a while, or have left the program open for a long time Sometimes the computer just needs to clear it's head and closing and reopening a program is a good first start.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

Bad "gather."
Jack

a posteriori

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

After thinking about Renee's response to this, and her other responses to problems posted by users, I get the feeling that she is always a tad condescending!

I'm not a software author but I've bought quite a bit of it since my TRS-80 days. I have never complained about any of it without having someone associated with the software company telling me it's my fault if their code has a glitch here and there.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit PO'd at that sort of attitude.

I have very likely purchased my last Roots Magic software!
Jack

a posteriori

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5722 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Whoa, Jack! Renee was factual, not condescending and did not blame you for anything. With no prior reports of the problem you had and, given that it did not repeat, how can anyone be expected to diagnose, explain and fix it? Maybe a neutrino passed through your computer and flipped a bit - who knows?! Make sure you keep backups on another drive...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm neither a novice at genealogy nor recognizing condescension.

According to her, without knowing how I operate my computer - whether I shut it down each night or allow it to run for months before rebooting or, how long I have kept RM open, it was my fault.

And, I know all about keeping backups Tom but, thanks for the reminder.
Jack

a posteriori

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Sorry if I sounded condescending but that was never my feelings. We just can't simple determine what a problem is unless we can recreate it. When the program becomes locked it means you have other software trying to access the database at the same time. RootsMagic 6 only accessed Windows burning software so it was accessing something outside of our program. It sounds like your computer just wigged out trying to access the burning software. Since closing the program solved the issue then we have to consider it was a problem with your computer itself.

If you can recreate it and then give us steps to recreate it then we know it's a RootsMagic problem. With the ability to recreate the issue we are then able to give something to development to test and resolve.

Your right I don't know how often you close down your computer, but I have to tell you keeping your computer running for a long time can cause these issues to happen more frequently, but don't mean it will always happen. If you have problems with your computer itself you can experience these issues right after restarting it. I just went through a hard drive falling and I was getting weird problems like that all the time. So Tom is right reminding you about having backups, and I'm glad you do.
Renee
RootsMagic