4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Recently it occurred to me that whilst it is great to see the age at Marriage and Death events on the header panel of Family View it would be nice, and also informative, to see the persons current age in relation to todays date. I would like to add that as an enhancement request as is.

This led me on to the fact that an individual born in 1883 and did not have a death fact entered would appear as 130 years old and should obviously prompt a problem indication. In such a case I would feel pushed to enter an estimated death date of at least BEF a certain date depending on what facts I had to hand or leave it as a PROBLEM therefore prompting further research to resolve the issue.

The other option would be for me to set the LIVING flag to a certain date.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

For missing facts or dates, I would rather work from a Group and the Timeline view with Parents, Siblings, Spouses and Children events marked than work from the Problem list where I would need to open the family members Edit person screens one by one.

On the Timeline view I can see where a person's family were born, married and died without having to open all the Edit person screens for each person and know where to start searching for a death for the person I am researching.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Perhaps showing the current age in the header panel as of today's date could be programmed to not be shown or be blank if there is no death date or burial fact and the Living tag is unmarked on the edit person screen.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Perhaps showing the current age in the header panel as of today's date could be programmed to not be shown or be blank if there is no death date or burial fact and the Living tag is unmarked on the edit person screen.

This wish came to me as I was planning to meet some living family members I had not met before and found myself calculating their ages, the thought of people born several hundred years ago without death or burial or death dates showing as problems was an afterthought.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

For now you might consider adding a user defined fact, Birthday age, with the date and description enabled.

The date is the birthday and current year. The description is the age shown for the fact on the Edit person screen. RM calculates the age the person will be on their birthday in the current year for me.

Make a Group of the person you are going to see. Customize the People view with these 2 columns and filter by the Group.

I don't do this for everyone in my database, but is very helpful for those people I am always being asked how old they are. I bave one family reunion where everyone is always trying to figure out how old famiily members are or how old they were when they died. I also added a Death age fact with the age in the description. I make a custom report and print it out for this reunion.

I just don't see how adding people with no death date to the Problem list would be helpful. We can get the same people creating a Group using various filters and have the list in the Group Sidebar to work from. And then do the research without the complication of working from the Problem list.

Having those people in the Problem list seems to me would cause more time and work than is necessary or needed.

As far as the Problem icon on the main view screens, it is easy enough to tell if a highlighted person has a death date on any of the main views.