• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I want to create a group composed of an ancestor and his descendants. Is it necessary to select each person for the group (there are many dozens), or can I selected the man & his descendants with fewer steps? I have reviewed the Help feature, my RootsMagic 4 book and searched this forum. I have been unable to locate an answer. Thank you. Blanche M. Wallace

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

These directions are for RM6, but I do not believe anything for this particular function has changed between RM4 and RM6.
  • Go to the Groups sidebar.
  • At the top of the sidebar, you will find the name of your current group and to right of that will be a little icon whose content is impossible to decipher and for which no text appears when you hover over it. Nevertheless, you might think of it sort of as the "edit groups" icon. Click that icon.
  • Click the big green plus sign that also says New. A Select People window will appear.
  • In the list at the left of the Select People window, find and highlight your ancestor. The easiest way to find your ancestor is usually to type his or her name, last name first followed by a comma and a space followed by first name. Before you can start typing, you will have to highlight someone in the list. This is not to select the person you have highlighted. It's just to enable you to start typing.
  • Having found and highlighted your ancestor, click Mark Group at the upper left of the Select People window.
  • Click Decendants of highlighted person. Choose how many generations you want and whether you want spouses or not and then click OK. This is the step that will get all of your ancestor's descendants with one click. You definitely do not have to select each descendant yourself.
  • Click OK in the lower right hand corner of the Select People window.
  • Enter a name for the group and click OK.
  • Click Close. Your newly created group will automatically become your currently selected group.
Jerry

#3 Blanche

Blanche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Jerry - thank you for the information. I was able to complete the steps up to "Click Descendants of highlighted person." I do not see that option and clicking around didn't find it. Could you tell me how to find it? Blanche

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

The last update to RM 6 added a new search criteria to the Select People screen.

Highlight the person you want the ancestors and the ancestors descendants for. Select Mark group, Ancestors of highlighted person. On the Ancestors option screen, select Ancestors and ancestors descendant's. Choose the number of generations.

You can upgrade to RM6 for $19.95.