• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MARK ALLRED

MARK ALLRED

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

I AM SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS!! I AM OUTRAGED!!

Last Spring I attempted to make a sharable CD. The process failed, seemingly due to RM5 being unable to bridge over multiple CDs, required due to the sheer volume of my ancillary documentation files.

A few days past, I discovered that RM could not find one of my documentation files. On investigation I found that all of my files had been removed from my carefully worked out and executed file classification system into the sharable cd file directory, without RM updating its file link data.

I know that RM can scan and find moved files to update its links. This is not what I need, nor want. RM still remembers where they were, and I insist that they must be replaced there so that I can still find them.. The magnitude of manual labor to accomplish this recovery is overwhelming and nearly impossible.

I insist that I must be able to trust RM not to destroy my file system to its own purposes, and have a reliable cd creation process, too.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Have you opened Windows Trash and checked if they are still there?

This is the first I have ever heard of media files being moved by the Shareable CD process. It copies them into the staging folder. Methinks you have run SCD alright and sometime later some other action resulted in the deletion of the originals.

If you have no backup, a procedure to reorganize the copies back into their original places would be to create and run a batch or command file based on the paths still stored in RM. That file could be built from a Media List report or from a SQLite query.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4151 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

RootsMagic would not move your media files. It will only create a new Pictures folder when you generate a Shareable CD. That is only a copy of the pictures you have linked in your database. Something else must have happened for you to loose your media files.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

RootsMagic would not move your media files.

Renee's response is 100% correct. Creating a sharable CD has no affect whatsoever on your file classification system. Creating a sharable CD only makes a copy of each your your image files. So if a file is missing from your file classification system it must have been something other than the sharable CD process that caused the file to become missing. I am writing only to emphasize that when the sharable CD process makes a copy of all your image files, it does not replicate your carefully worked out folder structure. Rather (and as Renee indicated), all the copies of all your image files are placed by the sharable CD process into a single folder called Pictures.

Jerry