• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 oldflagolfer

oldflagolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I get the following error message when I click websearch and search familysearch.org:

Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser.

If I click "use external browser", I do get a active search from FamilySearch.org in another widow, but not within the Rootsmagic 6 program. This only started after I installed the latest update. I've updated my browser to the latest, but it doesn't affect the Rootsmagic 6 program.

Terry

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2685 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Internally, Rootsmagic programmatically uses some base elements of Internet Explorer that are guaranteed to always be available in modern Windows installations in order to create the internal program browser for websites. Presumably you're running Windows XP as I've seen your message reported by someone else who was and apparently the message is generated by LDS in response to your older version of Internet Explorer. Unfortunately for you XP is coming to the absolute end of it's lifecycle (April 2014) after 12+ years and I suspect you'll be seeing that type of message more often in the coming months.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#3 oldflagolfer

oldflagolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

You are incorrect. I have been using System 7 since it first came out. This error only started after I installed the latest update.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2685 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

You are incorrect. I have been using System 7 since it first came out. This error only started after I installed the latest update.

OK, then you probably match my current setup (I'm running IE11) and other than the silly pink warning being at the top of the page, the "functionality" of searching works just fine. You'll most likely have to contact familysearch.com to have them begin to recognize your browser correctly
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

It wasn't an update to RootsMagic that caused this issue. It was changes made on the www.familysearch.org website. Last week you could actually go to the FamilySearch website in your IE10 browser and see that same message that appeared in RM WebSearch. I just did it today and it's not there. There's not much we can do to get ride of this message in RM WebSearch when it's coming from the FamilySearch website. WebSearch still works you just need to scroll down to see the results.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 srichards

srichards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm running the latest version of Google Chrome and my OS is Windows 7. I'm now getting the pink message when I try to use websearch that I have to update my browser.

What do I do?

#7 wodowd

wodowd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

I'm having the same issue and it is recent. Using Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit with everything up to date. My default browser is Firefox although the latest Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers are also installed. All work with FamilySearch but RootsMagic6 (also up to date) gives the pink header with an apparently blank results field below.
However I noticed that if I scrolled down below the various boxes on the left hand edge (Refine Search, Filter Results, etc) suddenly there it is. Looks like a display layout issue within the builtin browser tool.
Hope this helps.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

It doesn't matter if your default browser is Chrome or Firefox. RootsMagic only used Internet Explorer. It is the only browser Windows allows to be embed in Windows programs. That is why you need the latest version of IE. If you have Windows XP you can't get the latest version so there is no fix in that operating system. If you have IE 10 or IE 11 you shouldn't be seeing it but FamilySearch "broke" something in that browser and you will see that show up in RootsMagic's WebSearch.

This is an issue with the FamilySearch website only. This is something they have to fix. We can't fix it. If you visit other websites inside of WebSearch you will notice that message no longer appears.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3966 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

The issue here is that FamilySearch.org has been revised so that it is no longer fully compatible with versions of Internet Explorer earlier than IE10. Using the latest IE10 externally, I get the same mauve banner message when Compatibility View is turned on. RootsMagic 6 WebSearch must be using components of Internet Explorer that are older than IE10 or is using them in the Compatibility View mode. Changing the external IE10 Compatibility View settings has no effect on the result seen in the WebSearch view.

So, it is something that RootsMagic should be capable of fixing - just use more modern components of IE or provide control over the Compatibility View settings.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

I will pass your observations along to the RootsMagician. They have been trying several things to get this resolved. They are also working with FamilySearch for a resolution.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 jaycwood

jaycwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

(This is my third attempt at this message. Every time I invoke spellcheck, my message disappears! Therefore please excuse my spelling.)

Roots Magic and Family Origins before it, is a data base. I stores data which you find and want to keep. There are a dozen other programs that do the same thing. When Bruce (the Magician) put "WebSearch" into the program it changed Roots Magic from a storage bin into a true research facility. The ability of going to places like Find A Grave without leaving Roots Magic makes the program an invaluable tool for genealogical research.

But!!!! For the past couple of weeks, going to Family Search via WebSearch is not as it was! Now you get a bright red bar which says, in effect, you can't use Family Search through Roots Magic Yes you can if and only if you scroll way down the page. IT IS NOT THE SAME!! Bring up any of the search results and try to copy the "Citing this Record" information. Good Luck.

I was also told to check the "Use external browser" and get the full page of Family Search. This makes it very difficult to go back and forth between the two. This basically turns Roots Magic back into a data base storage drawer. Better than the others but still a filng cabinet.

This is a problem that apparently we will just have to live with. No progress is being made and maybe nobody cares or at least the right person doesn't know about this problem. I have set two reports only to be told that it is Family Search's problem and have-a-nice-day! There have been other problems in the various versions of Family Origins / Roots Magic but none of took this long to fix. Where is Bruce the Magician and have-a-nice-day lol.

Long, long time user,
Jay C. Wood

#12 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

When Bruce (the Magician) put "WebSearch" into the program it changed Roots Magic from a storage bin into a true research facility. The ability of going to places like Find A Grave without leaving Roots Magic makes the program an invaluable tool for genealogical research.

This is a serious and (hopefully) thoughtful question, and I'm not really trying to be argumentative with anybody. I have found that the WebSearch facility does not meet my needs, and I never use it except occasionally to play with it to see if I'm missing anything obvious. But it's also obvious from following this forum and from following the e-mail list that lots of very good genealogists and and very good users of RM find the WebSearch facility to be of great value. So I'm trying to understand what the disconnect is between me and those users who use WebSearch very successfully.

From my perspective, WebSearch has two problems, the first of which is relatively minor and the second of which is fairly major.
  • The minor problem is that WebSearch returns the results within an RM pane which in effect is a modal window. That means that you are stuck in the search results and can't switch back and forth between the search results and RM itself. I find it much better to have an ancestry.com window open or a familysearch.org window open or whatever at the same time my RM window is open and be able to switch back and forth. Of course, WebSearch does have the "Use External Browser" option available. But if you use the "Use External Browser" option, then the really cool feature where you can copy data from the search easily back into RM no longer works. Which brings us to ......
  • The major problem is that with WebSearch I cannot set up the search the way I want it to work. I discovered a long time ago that using the default options for the search engines associated with the various genealogy sites doesn't work for me. Nearly all of the genealogy sites default to some sort of "smart search" that does approximate matching and which ranks the matches acording to their definition of best fit. Such searches bring up millions of matches, and the matches I need are almost never close to the front of the list. Doing a search from RM seems to use said default matching which is approximate and ranked. I find that I get vastly better search results by specifying exact searches plus whatever wildcard and soundex or phonetic matches that may be available in the seach engine in question. But the way RM sets up searches, this kind of exact matching really won't work at all most of the time. For example, if an individual has a death date then RM sets up a search that includes the death date and most genealogical record such as census or marriage records do not include a death date. And I have virtually no interest in compiled trees that may include death dates because such trees are so full of errors. Most of the time, I really only want original records and not compiled trees.
So under those circumstances, I set up my own searches in a browser window that is totally separate from RM. It works great. What am I missing?

Truly curious,
Jerry

#13 jaycwood

jaycwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

c24m48 you said you could not switch between WebSearch and Roots Magic or something to that effect. But you can and that is the beauty of it! First, make sure the "Auto Search" is not checked. For instance, I go to Find A Grave (FAG) through RM WebSearch. I can switch back to RM by clicking on Pedigree or Family and I am returned to RM. I can do anything I want in RM. When I next click on WebSearch the same page from FAG is still there providing the Auto Search is not checked. I can go back and copy something such as a death date, come back to RM and paste it in the appropriate place. Go back to WebSearch and FAG is still there showing the same page.

The current problem Is that the format of RM>WebSearch>Search FamilySearch has chanced in the window and that makes it very difficult to use. The other searches work just fine.

Jay C Wood (at last that's who I think I am.)

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3966 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'm with Jerry on this - long ago went to external browser because the sub-window size of the internal one was too small. Alt-tabbing between external browser and anywhere within RM is just so much more efficient. The URL shown by the internal browser often was of no use for copying to anything - it may be the URL for an advert or something other than the page itself. RM's auto-generated URL gets me started on the external browser but I expect to edit the search on the website to improve the result set.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

RootsMagic has IE browser components embedded into the program to access WebSearch. This is the only browser option available when working with Windows programs. After some investigating we've discovered that any time the IE browser components are used, they default to running in compatibility mode for IE7. FamilySearch requires IE10 to run correctly. There isn't a way to programmatically tell those components to not do that. The only option is for the user to add a new registry item which tells the browser component to not run in compatibility mode for rootsmagic.exe. We "could" have RM (or the installer) add that registry item. We hate to have RM mess with the registry, so we are weighing our options here. I just wanted to report back on these findings and let you know what is causing the "Update your browser" error message when using FamilySearch inside of WebSearch.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 jaycwood

jaycwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thank you for the update Renee. It is good to know someone is working on the problem. If, and I say If, you do add a line to the Register, I hope you check to see that CCleaner doesn't delete it.

By the way, I have found that checking the External Bowser and going to Family Search, sometimes results in some search features not working. Better to bring up my browser (IE 11 on Win 7) and working two windows.

Thanks again and hope you success and soon (I hope),
Jay C Wood (the pest!)

#17 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

c24m48 you said you could not switch between WebSearch and Roots Magic or something to that effect. But you can and that is the beauty of it! First, make sure the "Auto Search" is not checked. For instance, I go to Find A Grave (FAG) through RM WebSearch. I can switch back to RM by clicking on Pedigree or Family and I am returned to RM.

Mea culpa. That's correct. That's my "minor" problem, and it's not really a problem after all. However, my "major" problem still remains.

Jerry

#18 jaycwood

jaycwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Jerry:

I understand your "major" problem and sympathize with you about it. I think the problem is that programs such as RM have to be a "something for everybody" and not specifically for one persons use. Sure would be nice but I have yet to find the perfect anything! What I like about RM and its WebSearch is that once the other program is in the window, I can modify that programs search without having to enter the basic search information such as a person's name. In effect, I am in that program the same as if I got to It using my browser but with the basic search already started. It needs some fine tuning but I have a start. If you ever find the perfect program, please, please, PLEASE, send me the URL (but with my luck it won't be what I want!)

Renee:

Please, please, PLEASE keep up the good work and send words of encouragement to everybody working on the solution. Maybe I shouldn't say this but "Go Ducks" (University of Oregon is playing the University of Utah In football today). Maybe sometimes it doesn't pay to be honest especially if there are Ute fans working on the problem.

Jay C Wood (the pest)

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

We're BYU fans over here, so no problem.
Renee
RootsMagic

#20 jaycwood

jaycwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Renee:
Ducks won! My wife is the duck, I am a Saluki-figure that one out. As long as we are off the subject (still doesn't work as a few minutes ago), I have this posted on my website (www.jaycwood.us). Everyone reading this, click on the link and find an example of what BYU is. I agree with General Gould.
Football BYU vs USAF A Must Read and See!!!!
Just prior to the start of the Air Force-BYU football game, Sept. 22, 2009, this video was broadcast in the BYU
stadium in Provo, Utah. Later, the USAF Academy Superintendent, LtGen Gould, showed this clip to the faculty
and staff. He told everyone that BYU ran it minutes before the kickoff at the game. He was clearly moved by it,
as were those who watched it. BYU is a class act.<
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=72OhOWFMf84>