#1 Sandy Ragets

Sandy Ragets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

I tried to update to an older version, as offered "free" here:
http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/
However, when I couldn't provide a version 5 registration number, it automatically installed the "Essentials" version, which has fewer features than my version 4.
Can anyone help me with the full install of an older version?
Otherwise, I will just reinstall from my version 4 disk.
Thanks so much!

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Updates are the changes made for any version of RootsMagic while that version is the current version. Updates are free.

An upgrade is when you purchase a registeration key of a new version of RM to unlock the full program.

To unlock an old version, you have to have purchased a key when that program was the latest version. Otherwise, you can download a version of RM and use RootsMagic Essentials for that version for free. RootsMagic Essentials for any version is always free.

Upgrades to the latest version of RootsMagic for users who have purchased a previous version is $19.95.

Perhaps you should consider upgrading to Version 6 so you can take advantage of all the new features which were added n RM 5 and RM 6.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

You cannot do a free update from one version to the next.

You could get a free update from any earlier version of 5 to 5.0.4.1, but from any version of 4 you can only freely update to 4.1.2.1.

To move up from 4 you will now have to purchase the upgrade to 6, but 6 has been around for a couple of years so I suspect there will be a 7 before too long.

Laura said about the same thing while I was typing this. :rolleyes:

==================
Woops! I checked and RootsMagic 6 hasn't been out a full year yet so it may want to upgrade to 6, it may be a while before 7 shows up.
Alfred

#4 Sandy Ragets

Sandy Ragets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Thank you very much for explaining the difference between updates & upgrades.
I will re-install version 4, as it suits my needs just fine.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thank you very much for explaining the difference between updates & upgrades.
I will re-install version 4, as it suits my needs just fine.

Make sure not to forget updating to 4.1.2.1 -> http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/
Actual update file link is -> http://files.rootsma...om/RM4Setup.exe

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N