• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Irons

Phil Irons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

It happens from time to time that a person in my database marries someone whose Given Name or Surname is not known. It has been my practice in the past to indicate the unknown portion by "FNU' or "LNU" (First name Unknown/ Last name Unknown) as necessary. A friend recently pointed out that, particularly in the cast of LNU, this person would sort into the middle of the L's. He suggested using something that would sort to the beginning of the names List, such as [--??--]. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I was wondering if there are any recognized conventions for indicating FNU or LNU.

TIA

Phil

Grey hair is a crown of Glory; it is attained by a righteous life

Proverbs 16:31

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I use ______ for a missing Given name. No one is going to mistake that for a name which can be the case with FNU or LNU. and it shows I don't have a name in a Family Group Sheet or Narrative report.

I am still trying to decide if I want to also start using that for missing surnames. Right now, if I don't have a Surname, I am leaving it blank. ______ would still sort to the beginning of the surnames on a name list.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Phil, that script font is really hard to read.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1690 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

For missing Surnames, if the person is married and female surname is not known, I use [married name]. Especially useful when you have 15 Elizabeth or Mary's in your database and don't remember which husband or family she is part of. Very helpful in the sidebar index list...

For missing given names, I usually leave them blank. Lots of gedcoms use Unknown/Living. I remove the words and leave them blank... This works for me....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Phil Irons

Phil Irons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Specific response to TomH:

Sorry 'bout that, Tom, I've now changed from MS Comic to Arial. Hopefully that makes a difference. Speaking of hard to read fonts, though, I found this particularly hard to read:

Posted Image

Grey hair is a crown of Glory; it is attained by a righteous life

Proverbs 16:31

#6 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Phil, that script font is really hard to read.

I was thinking more like nearly impossible to read.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

I just wanted to comment that you have to be really careful when you put abbreviations such as FNU, LNU, etc in as surnames. I once had a cousin tell me all excitedly that she found the last name of an end of line grandmother. I went and looked at what she was reporting and found someone had added the last name as LNU. And my cousin thought that was the last name. She didn't understand that was an abbreviation.

I simply put in RootsMagic nothing as the surname. Then they sort to the top of the index list. I will also given them an alternate name fact with their married name.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 MJW

MJW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

My approach is similar to Nettie's. For females who were married but I don't know their maiden name, I enter their surname as (Unknown/married surname), e.g. Mary (Unknown/Smith). I used to just enter (Unknown) but then found I had several persons called Mary (Unknown), Elizabeth (Unknown) etc. so I added their married name. If they married more than once, then I would enter Mary (Unknown/Smith/Jones). If I don't have any surname at all for someone, whether male or female, I just record surname as (Unknown). Using brackets means that these names appear at the top of Search lists which can be useful.

#9 westis

westis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

I used to use "N" for an unknown name, whether given or last name. But am now trying "?". That way, when I print a report for others to go through and update, it is easy for them to see where there is a name missing that they need to add if known. Maybe "______" would be just as good.

However, I am working almost exclusively with oral data for a Kenyan family.

#10 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

http://www.geni.com/...e-Accepted/3096
  • [-?-] any unknown data

http://www.iijg.org/...AYNU_XXIV_3.pdf

There seems to be too many ways to choose from.