• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 baluo

baluo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have made the following observation re the behaviour of tags in these three fields in the Add New Story window:

If I have to change any of them
* I find the sorting changed and the ticked tags are at the top. This is irritating while normally they are organised by alphabet, although on the other hand it is helpful because it shows the activated tags right upfront ...

* However, *un-ticking* an activated tag has in several cases now caused the the next unticked tag (i.e. following those on top) to be activated, sometimes losing all the tags activated before, or outher such erratic behaviour.

* Adding a *new* entry (Person/Category ...) regularly un-ticks the *last* entry in the list, as far as I can see ...

I hope this makes sense.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have made the following observation re the behaviour of tags in these three fields in the Add New Story window:

If I have to change any of them
* I find the sorting changed and the ticked tags are at the top. This is irritating while normally they are organised by alphabet, although on the other hand it is helpful because it shows the activated tags right upfront ...

I am confirming seeing this. It is noted in our tracking system.

* However, *un-ticking* an activated tag has in several cases now caused the the next unticked tag (i.e. following those on top) to be activated, sometimes losing all the tags activated before, or outher such erratic behaviour.

* Adding a *new* entry (Person/Category ...) regularly un-ticks the *last* entry in the list, as far as I can see ...

I am not seeing this behavior. Maybe I'm not testing this right. Give me step by steps instructions.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 baluo

baluo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Give me step by steps instructions.

Enter a few names, for instance in the People menu (Stories > People). Close menu and open "Add New Story". In the "People" field, activate a few names. Close this menu. Open again and select "Add New". Enter a new name. If you watch carefully for the second or so, and then in the "People" entry field, the *last* of the names previously activated in the listing and having been moved to the top is being de-selected.

A few more tests show that this happens when creating three or more "People" entries in the "Add new" menu.

Also, I just discovered - or rather, saw again - that a new entry created within the "Add New" menu can *replace* another one or even a whole set (in my test case: those created before within the "Add New" menu).

As tagging is one of the most important features in using PH, this makes it extremely unreliable.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

I am still unable to recreate this. I see the list change, but its only going into alphabetically order. What I don't see is the lose of anyone in the list. No one become unchecked and no one else is added automatically.

What version of Personal Historian do you have? Help>About Personal Historian version 2.0.2.3 is the latest.

Try going to File>Properties>Check/Repair File.. and run that to rule out having a problem with your database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 baluo

baluo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

I am still unable to recreate this. I see the list change, but its only going into alphabetically order. What I don't see is the lose of anyone in the list. No one become unchecked and no one else is added automatically.

What version of Personal Historian do you have? Help>About Personal Historian version 2.0.2.3 is the latest.

Try going to File>Properties>Check/Repair File.. and run that to rule out having a problem with your database.

I do use the newest PH version downloaded from your server a few weeks ago. The Check/Repair function told me that the file was ok.

The effect happens when I "Add New" a category, person or place, not if I just tick or untick an entry. It happens in all my browsers and for all three modes.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Not sure what you mean by happening in all my browsers and all three modes? PH doesn't access an internet browser.

It's probably best to open a support ticket and send a backup of your PH database. That way we can test what is happening.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 baluo

baluo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

Sorry, I don't know what happened to my response a few days ago:

> browsers
You are right, Rene, of course, I meant to refer to all three modes only.

> ticket
Yes, I have opened a ticket.

#8 baluo

baluo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hi Renee,

has there been a solution of this problem?

If not, and if I haven't provided you with a clear problem description, here another attempt:

- Any given story with a number of entries e.g. in Categories

- open this story, go to Categories, "Add New" category

- new category will be added to the list of ticked categories for this story

- HOWEVER, the first few (so far up to three) already existing Cat entries are being replaced by the first few (up to three) Cat entries of the entire Category listing, while the new entry remains ticked.

- I then have to untick those self-ticked entries and re-select those Cat entries I had previously selected.

For the way I use PH this is an important problem, and I would be great if an update could change it.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic