12 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Any plans in the near future to fix the missing hot keys short cuts?

For example, when using search and replace in Notes, the Find Next, Replace, & Replace All buttons are not hot keys.
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7851 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

It's working for me. You need to use Alt-(plus the letter) to make the hot key work.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thank you.

Sometimes, using Ctr-R does not bring up the menu in a text note. I have to close RM and reopen to get that to work again.

Back to original problem: When opening Replace, for example in a general text note, the appropriate letters for each of the four choices are not highlighted or underlined. I now understand they do work using the Alt and appropriate letter; e.g., for Replace All. After that action completes, the letters are found to be underlined. However, if the text to be replaced isn't found the letters do not return with the underline.

Because they are not highlighted or underlined the first time I use them, I presumed they were not working and I resorted to clicking on them instead.

So, was that a planned feature?

I can send some screen shots if you like.
Jack

a posteriori

#4 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

A year or two ago someone posted a huge list of hot keys on this forum. Isit still there?

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3374 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

From RootsMagic's Help File:

Shortcut keys provide quick access from the keyboard to commonly used commands. Commands in most menus and many windows and dialogs appear with an underlined characters in the menus or in the button. To invoke the command, press the Alt key and the letter shown together. Other menus also have a shortcut key combination (such as Ctrl+P) displayed beside the command in the menu.

Below are some of the general shortcut key combinations:

I or Shift+I -> Add individual
C or Shift+C -> Add child
P or Shift+P -> Add parents
S or Shift+S -> Add spouse
F1 or Shift+F1 or Ctrl+F1 -> Help
F7 -> Spell check
Enter -> Edit person
Delete -> Delete person
Ctrl+Del -> Delete family
Right, Left, Down, Up -> In Pedigree, Family, Descendants, People views and in the sidebar - navigate through the listed people
Ctrl+B -> Bookmark person
Ctrl+C -> Color Coding
Ctrl+F -> Find Person (RootsMagic Explorer)
Ctrl+Shift+F -> Find Family
Ctrl+H -> Search and Replace
Ctrl+L -> LDS Ordinances
Ctrl+N -> Create new file
Ctrl+O -> Open existing file (search for file)
Ctrl+P -> Print a Report
Ctrl+W -> Create a Website
Ctrl+V -> Show Family Sidebar
Ctrl+Home -> Go to Home person
Ctrl+Left -> Back (in history list)
Ctrl+Right -> Forward (in history list)
Ctrl+F4 -> Close highlighted database
Ctrl+F6 -> Cycle through open databases
Alt+letter(s) -> Select Menu commands
Alt+S+B+à+M -> Show Bookmark sidebar (Manage bookmarks)
Alt+S+H -> Show History sidebar
Alt+V+S -> Hide/view the sidebar

The commands available on the Note Editor toolbar, from left to right are

• -> Cut Ctrl+X
• -> Copy Ctrl+C
• -> Paste Ctrl+V
• -> Undo Ctrl+Z
• -> Bold Ctrl+B
• -> Italics Ctrl+I
• -> Underline Ctrl+U
• -> Find Ctrl +F – allows you to find words or characters, and you can choose to "Match the whole word only" and to "Match case", or both. You can search for the entry before or after the current position by selecting the direction as Up or Down, and click "Find Next".
• -> Replace Ctrl+R – allows you to find words or characters and replace them with another word or set of characters. You can choose to "Match the whole word only" and to "Match case", or both. You will be presented with the first instance found. You can choose to Replace this instance, Replace All instances, or "Find Next" instance without making a change to the currently highlighted instance.
• -> Spell Check F7 – opens the Spell check window with the word is displayed in context of the original usage and suggested alternate words provided.
• -> Thesaurus Shift+F7 – opens the Thesaurus window. In this window the word looked up is displayed, whether there are similar words from the same context, and a list of synonyms. If you see a suitable word, click Replace to insert the new word in place of the word in the note. If you don't see a suitable word, you can highlight one of the synonyms and click Lookup to find alternate words associated with the new word. You can then select a word for the new list to replace the original word, highlight another word to lookup, or click Previous to return the the previously displayed word.
• -> Character Map Ctrl+T – opens the character map to allow you to select special characters
• -> Add or Remove buttons – to hide or display currently chosen buttons, or to customize the toolbar.

Another command not in the buttons is:
• -> Select All Ctrl+A – select all the text in the field.

Two other commands (buttons) that can be added to the notes toolbar:
• -> Open (a file) Ctrl+O – import a text from the file into the note
• -> Save (to a file) Ctrl+S – save the note text to a file. You will be prompted for the type of file you want the file saved as.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7851 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thank you.

Sometimes, using Ctr-R does not bring up the menu in a text note. I have to close RM and reopen to get that to work again.

Back to original problem: When opening Replace, for example in a general text note, the appropriate letters for each of the four choices are not highlighted or underlined. I now understand they do work using the Alt and appropriate letter; e.g., for Replace All. After that action completes, the letters are found to be underlined. However, if the text to be replaced isn't found the letters do not return with the underline.

Because they are not highlighted or underlined the first time I use them, I presumed they were not working and I resorted to clicking on them instead.

So, was that a planned feature?

I can send some screen shots if you like.

I can't find where the letters are not underlined. So send a screen shot.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Where should I send it?
Jack

a posteriori

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Open a support ticket at http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

After 10 minutes it's still uploading! I read the news, browsed Facebook and it's still uploading!

Tried to get a password...entered e-mail address, pushed submit and nothing.
Jack

a posteriori

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7851 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Not sure what your issue is with uploading. Aren't you only sending a screen shot? Email it to support@rootsmagic.com .
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Done!

Went to upload page and filled out form.

Named file to upload and for the next 10+ minutes the screen told me it was "uploading."

I was invited to enter an e-mail address to qualify for a password in order to view previous problem uploads.

Nothing ever happened from that page.
Jack

a posteriori

#12 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'm presuming that I have begun a discussion somewhere in the RootsMagic cellar where programmers are attempting to figure out what they are seeing on the screen shot I sent?
Jack

a posteriori

#13 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Just got an e-mail from Renee telling me that I have confirmed what she is seeing!

Oh well...just so it gets fixed.
Jack

a posteriori