• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

I know this one is pretty silly, and can be changed easily on our own, but how about adding an "of" before the description in death details?

Currently, the template reads,
Sentence template:
[person] died< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

which means, unless we manually go in and change the template, we have to enter "of" before the cause of death.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I use that sentence and the [Desc] says "as a widower with Cancer of Rectum, Intestinal Obstruction" No 'of'.... I have learned that in the Desc file you use another word and it changes... the sentence....leaving out the of....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Change the Death fact default sentence to < of [desc]>. Then enter just the cause of death in the description. The of will be printed in the sentence by default.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

I did not add this as an enhancement request. I suspect the RootsMagician will not change the sentence template because it would effect all the people currently adding the "of" in the description field to compensate for it not being there. It is better if you just add it yourself as Laura suggests.

I'm not sure if I always use proper grammar, but I use the word "from" a lot instead of "of", i.e. "from a car accident", it sounds wrong to me to say "of a car accident". So, I think letting people personalize their descriptions really is best.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

And, working from obituaries, I have number of people described as dying "at home" and have used that as part of my description. Don't need "of" for those situations, either.

#6 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

You all make valid points...it's nice to hear how other people do things. I didn't think of any of those other ways of wording the cause of death.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

You could customize the sentence in each person's edit person window to fit the description, but I think a little more in the description field works about as well.
Alfred

#8 Geeper

Geeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

I am a new user having just switched from Legacy after 10 years. I found most of my sentences with a cause of death to be awkwardly worded so modified/added a second sentence to the template as follows:

[person] died< [Date]>< [person:Age]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.<?[Desc]| The cause of death was [Desc].>

This has solved the issue for me.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:57 AM

And, working from obituaries, I have number of people described as dying "at home" and have used that as part of my description. Don't need "of" for those situations, either.

I enter "home" or "at home" or some variation thereof in the Place Details field. It reads just fine. The "home" or "at home" phrases in the Place Details field make sense to me because that's the same place I would put the hospital name for a hospital birth or death.

Jerry

(P.S. I will grant you that "home" or "at home" doesn't geocode very well. Even if I manually geocode such things, the same "home" or "at home" type of phrase as a Place Detail could apply to multiple and totally different locations. But I really don't have much interest in geocoding Place Details. I prefer to place GPS coordinates for things like individual grave sites into fact notes. I tend to think of RM's geocoding as metadata that won't transfer into third party software very well, whereas fact notes tend to transfer somewhat better into third party software. Plus, fact notes can be included in RM's narrative reports.)