• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

I frequently use the option to search FamilySearch within RootsMagic, but today I get a message that my web browser is outdated and no longer supported. I was using IE 9, which was the default for any program on my computer that needed internet access. My current OS is Windows XP, and I can no longer update IE. So...I would like to have RootsMagic use Firefox as a default browser, without doing a blanket change for my whole computer. But I am unable to find any place where I can make that change in RootsMagic. Can anyone help me?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

RM uses an internal IE component so it's not really using the true IE browser. You do need to have the IE browser current to use those components in WebSearch. There isn't any way we can change it to a different browser since that's not really what it's using.

A while back FamilySearch was throwing out that update message even though a person had the most recent IE browser installed. You could still search the website it just had that annoying message. Are you still able to search the FamilySearch website as it is right now? Can you search any other websites using WebSearch? Are you getting that same message with all websites using WebSearch?
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

The internal browser is built on IE components and has no update feature that I am aware of other than updates through RM. The external browser option launches the Windows system default browser. I don't think there is a way that you can have RM start any external browser other than the Windows default. Not only is support for IE9 an issue for you but the bigger one is impending - see Support ends in 2014 for Windows XP.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was using IE 9, which was the default for any program on my computer that needed internet access. My current OS is Windows XP...

Windows XP only supported up to Internet Explorer 8 (not IE9)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

You can run IE 9 on Windows XP, even though it isn't supported. But I can't run IE 10, or any future updates. At least until I can finally afford to ditch my dinosaur and upgrade to something slightly more...current.

The FamilySearch link works, it just leaves a huge white space at the top of the page. And it runs the text for the links together a bit.

I am only getting that message on FamilySearch. All the other websites I have tried work fine. And if I use FamilySearch externally, it works fine in both IE and Firefox. No big ugly bar saying
"
Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser."

As for my impending no-longer-supported doom that lies ahead...yeah. I know. My computer is still upgradeable, but not worth it. It has served me well. I just need to limp it through until tax time.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

Only other possible thing I can think of is trying to fake out their browser-sniffing by customizing the User-Agent string with something like this:

http://www.enhanceie...toys/uapick.asp

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

So it is a problem with the RM internal browser, not with the full IE9. RM must be using outdated Windows components. I gave up on the internal browser for other usability issues and leave checked the option box "Use external browser", which, in my case, is Chrome.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

I was using IE 9, which was the default for any program on my computer that needed internet access. My current OS is Windows XP, and I can no longer update IE. So...I would like to have RootsMagic use Firefox as a default browser, without doing a blanket change for my whole computer. But I am unable to find any place where I can make that change in RootsMagic.

As Tom indicates, the only setting within RootMagic is the "Use external browser" checkbox near the top middle on the WebSearch tab. But then RootsMagic will open the selected website in whatever browser is set as the default for your computer and you apparently don't want to change away from Internet Explorer "system-wide".

So it is a problem with the RM internal browser, not with the full IE9. RM must be using outdated Windows components. I gave up on the internal browser for other usability issues and leave checked the option box "Use external browser", which, in my case, is Chrome.

BTW, I noticed the help file mentioning that using other than Internet Explorer cause the loss of a feature:

One note, using the external browser method disables the "Add WebTag" button since RootsMagic has no way of getting the URL information from the external browser.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have IE set as my default for the automatic Windows updates, but I guess I won't need to worry about that much longer.

When I use the external browser function, I get a "404" error when trying to download genealogies from FamilySearch. I will admit to a certain amount of laziness in downloading trees when I can, and saving myself all the typing. In RootsMagic, I am able to add trees by adding the 7 letter designation. Using ANY external browser causes a "404" error.

When I have the time, I will try the trick posted by kbens0n. And I will report back to let you know if it works. If I manage to have this problem, someone else will have it too.

Thanks for all the replies! I really love this software. I have recommended it to several people already. :D

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have IE set as my default for the automatic Windows updates, but I guess I won't need to worry about that much longer.

Thinking aloud here, if you switch the Windows default browser to your Firefox, I presume all you'd have to do is "manually" run your Internet Explorer and choose Tools -> Windows Update or even just browse/bookmark the Windows Update site to keep up to date. You'd lose the automatic notification/downloading and have to add that to your "memory" list. Or "on occasion" you could just switch the default browser settings for XP back around to IE, and then back to Firefox after you updated (changing settings are a matter of checkboxes and 1 minute or so! ;-)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thinking aloud here, if you switch the Windows default browser to your Firefox, I presume all you'd have to do is "manually" run your Internet Explorer and choose Tools -> Windows Update or even just browse/bookmark the Windows Update site to keep up to date. You'd lose the automatic notification/downloading and have to add that to your "memory" list. Or "on occasion" you could just switch the default browser settings for XP back around to IE, and then back to Firefox after you updated (changing settings are a matter of checkboxes and 1 minute or so! ;-)

Ummm....

I will admit to a certain amount of laziness

:P You DO realize that would be TWO whole boxes to check, right? I am not sure that I am up to that kind of effort....

I may just have to try that tomorrow night, and see if that makes any change at all in FamilySearch. But as for the Windows updates...believe me....if I do not set IE to default, I will remember to update about as often as I remember to crack my tower and blow the dust out of my heatsink. I have it timed just right now so that I take care of that when my smoke detectors start beeping because the batteries are dead. I like RootsMagic because it does the organizing for me, because if I had to do the organizing, my genealo0gy would be written on lots of paper napkins and junk mail envelopes, and I am unable to decipher my own writing anymore.

edited because one should never type when half awake and out of coffee.

Edited by fredandrana, 23 October 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

Ah-h-h, t-h-e g-o-o-d l-i-f-e... one checkbox at a time ≡÷þ

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#13 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am not sure how you guys fixed it, but since this last update, all issues I had with the internal browser are now fixed. No more ugly pink line at the top...picture previews are loading again, and I am able to download the full-sized pics again. All is well now...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And it loads a bit faster than it did before too...an added bonus!