2 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6086 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

It is daunting to work through the Place List, finding Places and Place Details (sites) that need to be geo-coded (i.e., have latitude and longitude values entered) so that they can be readily mapped and their events included in the Place List report option "Print events near a place". The larger the database of persons and families, invariably the more places and sites and the bigger the challenge. RootsMagic features such as Color Coding and Named Groups help narrow the focus when working on the facts for people and families of primary interest but, as of version 6, do nothing for the Place List. A desirable enhancement would provide the option to filter the Place List to include only those places and sites used by events for persons and families in a given color code or named group. Moreover, other filters would be helpful, such as showing only those lacking coordinates, or containing some string in any of the fields, etc., i.e., something paralleling RM Explorer for people.

Meanwhile, here's a SQLite query that can help narrow the focus when geo-coding for a small group in a large database: Places without Geo-codes for Named Groups

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

It is daunting to work through the Place List, finding Places and Place Details (sites) that need to be geo-coded (i.e., have latitude and longitude values entered) so that they can be readily mapped and their events included in the Place List report option "Print events near a place".

Agree with all your enhancement requests, I don't know how often it needs to be said but Place management within RM is so frustrating and long overdue for some major enhancements.

At present, as you know, "Print events near a Place" does just that, I would like to see the ability to also select a Place Detail or simply have RM report all Places and Place Details (sites) within a proximity of the entered latitude and longitude.

The filtered list is long overdue for Places containing Place Detail identifiers and also those not geocoded.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8207 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Place List, geo-code, Named Groups, Color Code, sqlite