• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ac4lt

ac4lt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm a new RootsMagic user coming from Reunion for the Mac (I'd *love* a native Mac version of RM!). I added a source using the "interview, privately held" template and it seems fine inside the program but when I export a gedcom with this source, I get this:

1 TITL , [<Sc>address for private use</sc>], interview by , ; , privately held by Linda Thomas, [<sc>address for private use</sc>], Broadlands, VA 20148, .

but, based on seeing the footnote inside the program, I'd expect this:

1 TITL Angela Thomas, self, [address for private use], Baltimore, MD 21219, interview by Linda Thomas, 2009; transcribed directly into genealogy program, privately held by Linda Thomas, [address for private use], Broadlands, VA 20148, 2009.

I don't see a way to make it export in a useful way. I use the exported gedcom to update an online tree and the source ends up looking terribly wrong on the online version because the entire footnote isn't preserved.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a RM bug or limitation?

Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

It's a RM limitation. There has been considerable prior discussion in the Forums on issues with GEDCOM export of sources leading to the logically extreme conclusion described at Sources - Adventures in Extreme Splitting. Notably, RM now exports a source to FS Family Tree that reads exactly like the RM report footnote; on importing such a source from FSFT, RM puts it into the Free Form template, entirely in the Footnote field with nothing in the Page field. On export to GEDCOM, that would be the TITL tag that you desire. So, in effect, such a trip (RM to FSFT to RM) converts a lumped and/or templated source to an ultimately split Free Form source that exports acceptably. The sqlite query on the above page converts all lumped sources to ultimately split sources with corresponding ultimately split templates that export the footnote faithfully to GEDCOM.

Because RM can export the footnote intact to FSFT, then I think it should be straightforward for it to be enhanced to export the footnote intact to the TITL tag, as an option for export.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 ac4lt

ac4lt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for that info, TomH!

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Issue is noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vincent1978

Vincent1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

@TomH: I'm probably doing something wrong, but all that happens for me is that the source detail fields are moved into the master source, but the filled in data is missing...? I'm using sqlite expert personal to user the following script. Should I use another script first??

-- SourceTemplateExtremeSplitConvert.sql
/*
2013-06-18 Tom Holden ve3meo
Converts all fields in the Source Template defined as Source Details or Citation Details
to Master Source fields, thus enabling the template to be used for Extreme Spliting.

WARNING - use this on unused templates; it does not convert existing citations and master sources.
*/
UPDATE SourceTemplateTable
SET FieldDefs = CAST(REPLACE(CAST(FieldDefs AS TEXT), '<CitationField>True</CitationField>', '<CitationField>False</CitationField>') AS BLOB)
WHERE 1;-- Apply constraints here, otherwise all Source Templates are modified.

-- View FieldDefs
SELECT CAST(FieldDefs AS TEXT)
FROM SourceTemplateTable T;-- view results

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

That script is for conversion of UNUSED source templates to "ultimately split", as per the warning in the script. It does not convert the source citation itself.

If you are trying to convert existing lumpy sources, follow the procedure in the preceding section "Convert Existing Sources and Citations".

For further discussion to help you get through to your goal, please comment on the Wiki page.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Vincent1978

Vincent1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

can't find where to comment? do I need to apply for membership first?

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yes. To participate in SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic, you need to be a member of the wiki.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: source, interview, gedcom