• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roncro

roncro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Our organization has used RootsMagic for a small team to prepare our family tree for a number of years. We have three trees, each with thousands of leaves.

Now we'd like to have our entire multi-hundred member organization have the opportunity to enter additional information into the tree themselves, i.e., to collaborate and thereby reduce the workload on the small team. We know this creates risks to the accuracy of the information so we wish to be able to monitor the additions, and we'll keep the current tree archived to assure we have our years of work protected.

We envision that we'll use an online tool to enable us to do this, exporting our RootsMagic results to it.

We want to hear from others who have tried this approach. What tools have you used? How has this worked for you.

Thanks for your responses.

#2 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

We have previously discussed how a small number (e.g. 3-4) of people might undertake collaborative research with RM but never hundreds. The program simply isn't designed for that level of collaboration. I'm not sure if TNG might support that many users or not. My only other suggestion would be a tree on Ancestry.com

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6215 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Of course you could collaborate on FamilySearch Family Tree, for which RM is "certified". However, you cannot restrict collaboration to a select group of people; any registered user can edit, something like Wikipedia. Whatever approach you take has problems.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I am using TNG and I think it can handle the members on line but the problem is getting the information back to RM as the only way would be gedcom. Depending on the information being moved between TNG and RM you could loose data going both ways.

Roger

#5 roncro

roncro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions. If we use something other than RM, going back to RM is something we haven't thought about before. And, of course, the fidelity of moving the data to something else is an issue we'd need to address. I'd expect it's a matter of some fields don't move well across the interface.

My understanding of Ancestry is that anyone who wanted to collaborate would have to join Ancestry for a fee so I've avoided that as we want it to be easy for anyone (in our membership) to add data. As I try the free access, I can enter some tree info but finding anything else appears to ask for a paid membership.

I like the looks of TNG and plan to evaluate that further.

I've also considered MyHeritage.com as a possibility. It does allow controlling access and keeping this as a private tree. It provides a journal of entries and changes, though it doesn't provide the Tentative Edits of TNG, or a number of other features of TNG. Since it is a service, it does avoid having to install or have installed the software, as needed by TNG, but that's only a short term effort.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful replies.