• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark C

Mark C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm excited about the new ability to share sources. However I'm puzzled. I have never used the Master text field for saving information for an individual. My use of RM shows that any information I put in the Master text field shows up on every use of the specific source template. For example, I have only one template for U.S. 1880 census records. If I store anything in Master text, it shows up in every use of this template, which seems to make it not usable for storing information specific to an individual. I have used the 1880 census template thousands of times. I can't imagine creating a new 1880 census template for each use. Instead I have been using the Detail text field for storing unique information for each individual. That way I can reuse the 1880 census template over and over again.

So how am I supposed to use this new feature? I have over ten thousand records most which have 1-6 sources. I want to be able to have a single template for things like U.S. census records. How is that supposed to work? Using the Master text field doesn't make sense to me. Am I doing this wrong?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

You are not doing it wrong as far as the way RM was designed to work by itself. What you have run into is the Great Divide between RM and FSFT because the latter has no Master Source - every citation is a source. Even before FSFT, there was this issue of lumping vs splitting because of issues with the way the RM user interface functions and also with the quality of exported citations. Have a look at http://sqlitetoolsfo...treme Splitting for more background and a link back to Jerry Bryan's posts which cover the issues in more depth. The Ultimate Split utility resolves these compatibility issues but your 10,000 citations of a few Master Sources becomes 10,000 Master Sources, more or less.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

What you have run into is the Great Divide between RM and FSFT because the latter has no Master Source - every citation is a source.

I have wondered if the Great Divide between RM and FSFT, as Tom calls it, might someday influence the design of RM and the design of any RM competitor that has an FSFT interface. It seems to me that various genealogy database software packages have little incentive to have data interfaces and data models such that data can make clean round trips from one software package to another and back. But surely there is an incentive to have data interfaces and data models such that data can make clean round trips between your software package and FSFT, and for the data to make such clean roundtrips in either direction.

There are many other data issues besides just sources where clean roundtrips can be important. And sadly, data sometimes doesn't even make clean roundtrips between RM and itself. If two researchers are both using RM and GEDCOM to send data back and forth to each other, a roundtrip does not always preserve the data properly. FSFT is not using GEDCOM to send data back and forth, and the FSFT API might be an opportunity to improve the integrity of roundtrip data. But such improvement doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Jerry