6 replies to this topic

#1 Gofergal

Gofergal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

HI
I am fairly new to RM and am having trouble getting my data from FT into RM. I have started at least 6 imports all of them crashing before completion. I had one going for over 2 days and my internet went down.. :( I would like to know if there is a way to do smaller batches then combine them into one database.
I am very frustrated with trying to get my trees imported to RM Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Combine them in one database and use the Merge utility.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Gofergal

Gofergal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks Tom, but that is what I dont understand how to do... combine in 1 database. :)

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Open 2 dataases in RootsMagic and backup each database. Drag and Drop people from one database into the other. If you make a mistake, you can start over with the original databases by restoring the databases if needed.. Also, backup the database you are dropping people into frequently as you work so you dont have to start at the beginning and loss all your work that was correct.

Watch the using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic video at RootsMagic TV in YouTube. Also watch Webinar #47, Splitting and Combining Files in RootsMagic, on RootsMagic's website under the Learn menu.

Database 1 = Database you are dragging and dropping people from
Database 2 = Database you are dropping into

In Database 1, you can also color code all the people you want to drag and drop to the other database. I would use Red and then create a Group of people that are color coded Red. I use Red for temporary color coding.

After you drag and drop a person(s) to Database 2, color code them another color, perhaps Green

Database 1:
Black (no color coding) = people you don't want to transfer
Red = people to transfer
Green = people that have been transfered

Database 2:
Red = People who have been transfered.

I drag and drop people by individual or families and then merge as needed in Database 2 before I drag and drop another family, but you could drag and drop all people color coded Red at one time and then merge people as needed in Database 2.

Start by dragging and dropping into a copy of Database 2 until you are comfortable with what you are doing. It will save you time and frustration in the long run.

#5 Gofergal

Gofergal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Laura, It appears i will need to upgrade to the full version in order to do that. Does anyone know if there are any discounts for purchasing this product?

I appreciate your help.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

If you have previously purchased the full program for Family Origins or a previous version of RootsMagic there is an upgrade discount.

Sometimes RootsMagic will be offered at a discount before Christmas, but that is not guaranteed.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

We are still offering a discount to previous PAF users moving to RootsMagic. Just use the link on this page.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/paf/
Renee
RootsMagic