• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KarenVee1275

KarenVee1275

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hoping one of you Whizzes can help with this. I have a 300+ page NARRATIVE REPORT which I have generated using Modified Register NGSQ. It appears to create the neatest of the reports. My problem is that the parent paragraph still needs to be indented for the text to line up under the Number. The easiest solution is to take the First Line Indent outside the Left Hand Margin. But... I have to do that on every family in my report. Is there anyway to modify how a Report is printed in Roots Magic? Thanking You in advance - Karen V - kazvee@gmail.com

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I have a 300+ page NARRATIVE REPORT which I have generated using Modified Register NGSQ. It appears to create the neatest of the reports. My problem is that the parent paragraph still needs to be indented for the text to line up under the Number. The easiest solution is to take the First Line Indent outside the Left Hand Margin. But... I have to do that on every family in my report. Is there anyway to modify how a Report is printed in Roots Magic? Thanking You in advance - Karen V - kazvee@gmail.com

I think the basic answer is "no". You have to fix the indents one at a time. For sure, there is not anything in RM itself that helps with these kinds of issues. You will have to modify the RTF file (or the PDF file, if you have a PDF editor).

Depending on your word processor, some types of formatting problems can be resolved with a global replace. The problem you are describing does not sound amenable to that sort of approach.

Another possibility for global replace sometimes is to use a powerful text editor - not just Notepad, but something that can handle regular expressions - and to make the changes in the RTF file before opening it with your word processor. I used to do that rather a lot with Family Origins and with RM1, RM2, and RM3. This approach does require a sort of programming ability and the willingness to learn a little bit about how RTF files work. Starting with RM4 and subsequent versions, I have mostly abandoned this approach. The RTF files produced since RM4 are much more complicated than the RTF files that were produced previously, and I just haven't been able to figure them out. So there are now only two formatting problems with RM's RTF files that I fix with a text editor. One is that after a fact note that ends with a carriage return, the sentence for the next fact is preceded by a blank that doesn't belong there. The other is that there is a nasty bug (again, an extra blank that doesn't belong there) in the XE entries (index entries) throughout your document. The latter bug can manifest itself as totally absurd spacing in the place index. The bug is actually present in the person index as well, but it only manifests itself in the place index.

I also used the Modified Register (NGSG) format for many years. After RM4 came out, I switched over to the Register format (NEHGS). The two formats are very similar, and the two formats include many of the same advantages and many of the same problems. I'm not quite sure why I switched. It wasn't specifically because of differences between RM4 and previous releases. It was more because I got so many questions from people at family reunions about the NGSG format that I thought I should try something different. Despite the very minor differences between the two formats, I do seem to get fewer questions about the NEHGS format.

I would really prefer to use one of the outline formats. What RM calls Outine (indented), Henry (indented), and D'Aboville (indented) are exactly the same format with a different numbering system. People at family reunions seem to understand these formats better than the Register or Modified Register format. However, all the outline formats have the problem that siblings are never listed together with their parents except for the very youngest generation. So for that reason, I use the Register and Modified Register formats. But my problem with the Register and Modified Register formats is that individuals who never marry and who never have children only appears as children of their parents and never appear in their own right in their own generation.

I think the only way to produce decent narrative reports is to do them manually and from scratch in a word processor. And I find it ironic that even narrative reports produced back in the day on manual typewriters are usually much better reports than what you can get out of RM or any other genealogy software. But doing reports manually in a word processor is madness because then the file from the word processor effectively becomes your genealogy database. In Jerry's perfect world, a good genealogy program might not even have what RM calls a Family View or a Pedigree View etc. Instead, a good genealogy program might have several Report Views that are live reports (updating the report updates your database and vice versa) and where the live reports look just like your printed reports are going to look - narrative reports, Family Group Sheets, wall charts, etc. So you would work in the Report View of your choice (and you could switch between Report Views) and wouldn't have to "run" reports. You would simply print what you are already looking at.

Good luck with your reports. Maybe somebody else will be able to give you a little more hopeful answer.

Jerry

#3 KarenVee1275

KarenVee1275

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thank you Jerry. I feared as much. Am delighted to have read your comments and appreciate your insights.

I'm 90% happy with the Modified Register report now that my sentence templates are behaving better. FYI: I'm printing out to rtf - then converting to Word docx and then dropping into InDesign so I'm reconciled to lots of Tweaking in the final stage.

Happy for all the assistance I've received.

Karen V.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I don't understand where you see the misalignment, Karen. Is it the sentence "FathersName and MothersName had the following children:" that you want indented?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

In Microsoft Word 2010, you can do a global search and replace to indent a paragraph that contains a phrase that occurs in all such and only such paragraphs. For example, if it is the paragraph beginning "FathersName and MothersName had the following children:", the phrase consistent from paragraph to paragraph, having little likelihood of appearing anywhere else, is "had the following children:". The singular version of this phrase is "had the following child:". Common to both is "had the following child" (no colon).

Find what: "had the following child" will find every paragraph.
Replace with: "had the following child" won't change anything because it replaces the found phrase with the same phrase.
However, also select More>> Replace > Format when the Replace field is active, then Paragraph from the drop-down list and set Indentation > Special: First line and By: 1 cm (or whatever)
Now the Replace function, while leaving the text unchanged, does change the format of that paragraph to a first line indent of 1 cm.

If you check the "Use wildcards" option then:
Find what: "(had the following child)" will find this phrase in every paragraph and store it to a register (#1).
Replace with: "\1" recalls the stored value and replaces what was found, thus changing nothing.
Replace format can also be used with wildcards as above.

For greater assurance that the search phrase does not occur in any other type of paragraph, include the colon. That would require a two-pass procedure using the singular "had the following child:" and the plural "had the following children:"

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Corel's WordPerfct is perfect for this kind of formatting. I have been using this program for 25 years for serious word processing tasks. It is no wonder law offices use this program; it is wonderful for making global changes.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

How well does Word Perfect do with rendering RootsMagic-generated RTF files?

#8 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

In Jerry's perfect world, a good genealogy program might not even have what RM calls a Family View or a Pedigree View etc. Instead, a good genealogy program might have several Report Views that are live reports (updating the report updates your database and vice versa) and where the live reports look just like your printed reports are going to look - narrative reports, Family Group Sheets, wall charts, etc. So you would work in the Report View of your choice (and you could switch between Report Views) and wouldn't have to "run" reports. You would simply print what you are already looking at.

That may not be too far away. See Louis Kessler's Behold program. His plans for the future are here.

Virginia

#9 cpgupta1201

cpgupta1201

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Altering report formatting is a big pain specially if you are not aware about formatting shortcuts/tips and tricks. However if you search on google you will find good tutorial about formatting report. One such great formatting tutorial which covers almost all the areas for report formatting is given in video on youtube.com at https://youtu.be/KphPRpC9Ipw. This has really helped me during the same.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Altering report formatting is a big pain specially if you are not aware about formatting shortcuts/tips and tricks. However if you search on google you will find good tutorial about formatting report. One such great formatting tutorial which covers almost all the areas for report formatting is given in video on youtube.com at https://youtu.be/KphPRpC9Ipw. This has really helped me during the same.

phishing suspect... 

member joined today, 1st post. Do you see anything that looks like knowledge about RM? But I could be wrong. I will let somebody else check the link.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

I checked the link this morning and it actually goes to a YouTube video demonstrating features in Word like they mentioned. So I thought it is legit.

Renee
RootsMagic