• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sleuther

Sleuther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm a new RootsMagic user, having just switched from Family Tree Maker, so am still learning if the program does something and I just don't know how, or if it can't be done in RootsMagic. In FTM I had a check box option of having my Index list females by their maiden name or their married name, and I used each option depending on my project. I tried using the option Show Alternate Names in RootsMagic but that didn't seem to be the answer.

I'd like to have a Findagrave cemetery index open in one window, and my RootsMagic index open in a second window, and be able to compare who is in my tree that's also buried in that cemetery so that I can create a Group to work with. However, the females in my tree appear by their maiden name in my index list and I often don't recognize them by their married name on the cemetery list.

Is there a way to get my females to show up by their married names, or am I just stuck working with the males for now?

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Displaying the Alternate Names is the answer but you have to enter them as a fact using married name as the option otherwise the birth name would be the only name displayed. Really Rootsmagic should be smart enough to cater for this where females can be known by several surnames through their lifespan so I believe you should post a wish to Rootsmagic Support and on the wish list here.

I have several surnames that vary between around three alternate spellings and I also use the Alternate Name to sort the variations together selecting Alternate Spelling as the option.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3226 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

You can add an Alternate name to the woman and use the married surname and mark it Private so it won't print if you choose not to print private facts.

I enter a suffix with the husband's name, [h=John Allen Doe]. This is especially useful when a woman has more than one spouse. The [] and = can be used as a search filter.

Since an Alternate name is sorted by Surname, Given name in the Indexes, I enter Mrs. in the Prefix so I can quickly tell the Alternate name is a woman's married surname name and not a maiden surname name.

I can easily find the Alternate married surname in the Sidebar Index or Rootsmagic Explorer or People view by typing the Surname, Given name.

Since a Group on the Sidebar does not show an Alternate name, I create the Group and filter the People view by the Group. Check Show Alternate names on the People view. I customize the People view by adding other fact columns such as birth date and place and death date and place which can be very helpful.

You could also create a Group using filters to choose all married women with married surname in a particular cemetery. You can add other search criteria to that Group also. Select the Group in the People view and put the Sidebar on Family. Highlight a person on People view and see their family in the Sidebar. You can switch back and forth between Group and Family in the Sidebar.

You can even have one Group showing in the Sidebar and another Group selected in People view. So you could have a Group of the married women buried in a cemetery in the Sidebar and have another Group with everyone buried in that cemetery showing on the People view.

If you customize Find A Grave on the Websearch view, you can choose Find a Grave to search on the WebSearch view and switch main views or Sidebar views back and forth. Or you can be in Websearch view and open RootsMagic Explorer with the Magnifing glass icon on the Toolbar, select your person and edit their record there. Cancel the RM Explorer and it will not change the highlighted person on the other views. Having married Alternate surnames for women also helps on the RM Explorer.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 Sleuther

Sleuther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Vyger, You're right, I can't believe that RootsMagic hasn't developed an easier way of dealing with maiden names, we shouldn't have to develop such elaborate "work arounds" as what's being suggested. I have entered 1000's of names in my database and am not about to go back and add prefixes and suffixes and special facts just to find my females.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

One advantage of RM over FTM is that you can manipulate the database directly. While that could get you into lots of trouble, with care you can accomplish exceptional things. Have a look at http://sqlitetoolsfo...s - Add Married ; that query is also available in the RMtrix app, linked below. Remember to backup first.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

In FTM I had a check box option of having my Index list females by their maiden name or their married name, and I used each option depending on my project. I tried using the option Show Alternate Names in RootsMagic but that didn't seem to be the answer.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Vyger, You're right, I can't believe that RootsMagic hasn't developed an easier way of dealing with maiden names, we shouldn't have to develop such elaborate "work arounds" as what's being suggested. I have entered 1000's of names in my database and am not about to go back and add prefixes and suffixes and special facts just to find my females.

There are many things that RM probably should do without intervention and this is one but I would like to reiterate what TomH said above regarding the ability to manipulate the database directly.

There are many things I have achieved through the use of his scripts which would never get mainstream genealogy program approval so I would advise a good read over his considerable WiKi linked in his signature.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#8 Sleuther

Sleuther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

For now, I think my easiest solution is to use my Family Tree Maker database if I'm having trouble finding one of my women. Thank you for your responses and when I become more comfortable using RootsMagic I'll see what I can do with them.