#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
I haven't used GEDview or MobileFamilyTree Pro for some time on my iPad2 and was curious to see how they worked after updating to iOS7. MFT Pro has a powerful mapping display - the samples above are from my RootsMagic data. To get from RM to MFT proved to be a bit convoluted. I had to export the GEDCOM with RM extra features, import it into GEDview, export from GEDview, do some global search and replace on that GEDCOM, then import it into MFT. If anyone is interested, I'll describe the procedure more fully.

Edit: these shots are from MobileFamilyTree Pro 1.2.4 which is now superseded by MobileFamilyTree 7 whose price is higher.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2955 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

To get from RM to MFT proved to be a bit convoluted.

Or any other program and therein lies a problem as you and I know.

Years ago I posted a wish directly to the Rootsmagician and I am still surprised it has not become part of Rootsmagic or other genealogy software for that matter. The wish was very simple and can be easily fulfilled by anyone with a bit of tech knowledge but not others. POI (points of interest) databases are commonly created as CSV (Comma Separated Values) files and can be input into GPS, SatNav or whatever you call your navigation device.

So if I was traveling from Ireland to Pennsylvania and wanted to visit all those places on file which I have geocoded I believe Rootsmagic should facilitate the export of all Places including Place Details which contain Pennsylvania in their parent Place to a POI compatible file format. The POI list could have the little Rootsmagic icon and be named whatever the user wishes. So if I ever happened to be in a County, or State where I would not normally be passing I could easily visit those points of interest.

Maybe in car GPS is becoming a thing of the past with online tablets but I still use mine for planning detailed trip itineraries and when driving alone in the car a tablet of cell phone is not of a great deal of use.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 MessengerFamilyGuy

MessengerFamilyGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Agreed. This ties into my posts about problems with RM6 places. POIs could be used to do so much more. Factual has 65 million POIs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geocoding, Mapping, GEDview, MobileFamilyTree