#1 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

I have recently picked up RM6.

I had my 30K person file most recently stored in Family Historian. I have thousands of media images that I'd arranged into media folders (Portraits, census images, headstones, etc.).

I tried several times to export the Gedcom from Family Historian with links, and full links to the folders. To no avail. RM6 refused to acknowledge the media.

I moved a full copy of the media folders into the RootsMagic directories I created. And I edited the Gedcom replacing all pointers to the media files new location in the RM directory.

RM6 refused to recognize the imported Gedcoms media links.

It was only when I told Family Historian to do a Gedcom export for FamilyTreeMaker and then edited that Gedcom file with the right links, did RM6 recognize the media files. There was a pause after the import as it created thumbnails.

Success at last, or so I thought. But, no. The image of my son did not appear. I checked the Media for person option and his pictures were indeed there.

I had to pick a picture, tag him, make it the default picture, and only then did it appear on his screen.

I did that for several more immediate family members.

However, I have 1,000's of people with images. I can't do this automatic tagging by hand.

Is there a solution to this? (Will RMatrix (sp?) do this?)

I'm new to RM6 and I didn't find a solution in the help file or in my internet searching. (Where I did find word of RMatrix.)

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

If I understand correctly, you now have a RootsMagic database file that is correctly linked to your media, that there is an image file in the Media Album for a person but it is not used as the thumbnail for that person on the main screen. That sounds like the image file is tagged to the person but the option "Primary photo for this person" is unchecked. RMtrix (not RMatrix) cannot help with that but a custom SQLite query could. There would be a dilemma if there were more than one image file tagged to the person - which to mark as the Primary? - but that might be less of a problem for you than the current status. I could help you with the SQLite query.

I don't know if your problem has arisen because of some shortcoming in RM's import from FTM flavour GEDCOM or Family Historian's export to FTM flavour GEDCOM. That is something you could pursue with RM Tech Support.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

You would need to send us a GEDCOM from Family History so we can check now it is saving the media links.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

... I could help you with the SQLite query.

I went ahead and developed a query regardless whether my interpretation of your problem is correct. Anyway, I found it useful in catching a few people in my own database for whom I had image files but none marked as the Primary photo. Of course, some of them are inappropriate but that's the tradeoff between the effort associated with unchecking the inappropriate ones after running this extremely fast query versus ploughing through the database looking for persons having media tagged but none showing. It's easier to see inappropriate Primary photos than it is to discover a potential Primary photo. The query is at Media - Set Primary Photo for Persons.

Edited by TomH, 23 September 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

I went ahead and developed a query regardless whether my interpretation of your problem is correct. Anyway, I found it useful in catching a few people in my own database for whom I had image files but none marked as the Primary photo. Of course, some of them are inappropriate but that's the tradeoff between the effort associated with unchecking the inappropriate ones after running this extremely fast query versus ploughing through the database looking for persons having media tagged but none showing. It's easier to see inappropriate Primary photos than it is to discover a potential Primary photo. The query is at Media - Set Primary Photo for Persons.

Thank you! Aye, there will be an issue with multiple images for some and possibly not getting the one I intended for it, but the vast majority I have a single image for and that will address the need perfectly. I'll just view pedigree charts with photos to spot the misassigned ones and fix manually. I appreciate it.

#6 Stewartrb

Stewartrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

You would need to send us a GEDCOM from Family History so we can check now it is saving the media links.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

I'll create both "flavors". The straight gedcom with full path name to links, and the gedcom for family tree maker with full path name to links.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Not all programs export non standard items to GEDCOM files the same way.
RootsMagic's export for two photos of a fact are listed below. The Y or N following the _PRIM tag tells whether the RootsMagic whether the photo is the primary or not. The only difference for personal photos would be the leading numbers would be reduces by one.

2 OBJE
3 FILE C:\Photos\photo1.jpg
3 FORM jpg
3 TITL 12/20/1998 6:18PM
3 _DATE 20 DEC 1998
3 _TYPE PHOTO
3 _SCBK Y
3 _PRIM Y
2 OBJE
3 FILE C:\Photos\photo2.jpg
3 FORM jpg
3 TITL 12/20/1998 6:18PM