• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KarenVee1275

KarenVee1275

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Currently I have an unreliable sentence for my Arrival Template and request Help from you clever Advanced Members.  

I would like to say:    Person arrived in Australia, landing in Melbourne  on Date, on the Vessel "GoodShip";  he|she departed from Liverpool.

Are there too many entries in this Sentence?

All the Underline Entries of course are the variables and most of the time only part of the information is available for me to insert.

Appreciate any help.  I am prepared to re-insert any of the information into my Database to make this work.

Thank You
Karen V.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5695 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

I would try the immigration fact, edit it to use the description, or copy it to your Arrival fact and use the description then place the name of the ship and the place he came from in the description.
ie "departed from Liverpool on the Goodship"

[person] immigrated< [Date]>< to [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]><, [Person:HeShe]>< [Desc]>.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I would use 2 facts and combine them customizing the sentences on the Edit person screen.

Emigration:
[person] departed<[Place:plain]>< on the [Desc] and landed in
Liverpool for the place and ship name in the description.

Immigration:
[Place:plain]< on [Date:plain]>.

Enter Melbourne, Australia in the place or enter Melbourne in the description field and add [Desc] into the sentence.

You may need to enable the description for the fact on the Fact type list.

Sort the Emigration fact just above the Immigration fact. Put all notes and link all sources to the Immigration fact.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 KarenVee1275

KarenVee1275

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Once again - I'm humbled and very grateful for your replies and suggestions. Both of the remedies work and I'm very grateful once again.

Thank You
Karen V.

#5 Mike Power

Mike Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

I've put the following suggestion forward before....

Emigration and immigration are simply different ways of looking at the same event

Keep the "Emigration" and "Immigration" facts for those who have already used or prefer them, but I would like to see a new, specialized fact: the dual purpose "Migration".

This would have additional data fields to enable us say that:

[person] migrated on the <mode> which left from < [1st place]> on <1st date> and arrived in <[2nd place]> on <[2nd date]>.

Mode: In most cases the name of a ship but in the modern era it could be “by aircraft”.
In such a case, the date of arrival would be all that is required.

A possible enhancement: A “tick box” option which, if activated, would calculate the number of days involved between departure and arrival and add text:
  • ….. and arrived in <[place]> on <[date]>, after a voyage of XX days.