Photo

Indicators for Media, Research Logs, etc.

Media Research Logs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robbhaas

robbhaas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Situation: Source/ Edit Source - There is no indication if there are media attached to this source citation - if there was a little number or if the tab was somehow different than it is when empty

Situation: Person Edit screen - Address, Media, ToDo and Research Tabs: There is no indication if there are any items in any of these from looking at the tabs - It would be helpful if there was a number like there is for the Web Tags tab or some kind of indication the tab has something in it.

I realize that there are small icons in the upper left when the person is highlighted but it would be so much easier and more useful if there were indicators on the Edit screen where I spend most of my time

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3517 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Situation: Person Edit screen - Address, Media, ToDo and Research Tabs: There is no indication if there are any items in any of these from looking at the tabs - It would be helpful if there was a number like there is for the Web Tags tab or some kind of indication the tab has something in it.

I realize that there are small icons in the upper left when the person is highlighted but it would be so much easier and more useful if there were indicators on the Edit screen where I spend most of my time

On the whole I agree, bringing this information much more to the top level will probably be a focus and should be. What was done with the newish WebTags tab was good and this could easily be expanded to other tabs giving a better understanding of what exists without drilling down.

Media, however, is indicated by the check marks below the little camera symbol on the edit person screen.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 robbhaas

robbhaas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

I agree but the check mark is for the FACT and does not indicate if there are media attached to the Sources/Citations for the fact - that was what I was referring to -

I prefer to attach the media to the citation and not the fact for the most part

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I would add my vote for the requested enhancements and have requested similar previously. In addition, I would like to see the presence of media for sources and citations and for places and place details in the Edit Person screen and in RootsMagic Explorer.

For sources and citations, maybe it would be a change to the Check-Mark for the Source column - instead of the Check-Mark, why not the number of cited sources and, when any of the citations or cited master sources have media, the background for the number could change from plain to the certificate image.

For Places and Place Details, a camera icon could be included in their respective data field to signify presence of media and the Media button at the top could also include Place and Place Details media.

Requested earlier is that the list under the Edit Person - Media button should flag which items do have media so that they are distinct from those that do not.

And back to using numbers instead of check-marks, how about doing so for the number of media items in the Media column?

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3517 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

robbhaas, I did get essentially what you meant, the subject of some indication of Media attached to Sources has come up various times before.

TomH, I like your idea of a numeric in the media column, bu always thinking of extremes what about window management as the counts increase?. As a compromise I would suggest counts more than 9 would be signified by ".." or some other notation reather than trying cater for differing column widths - thoughts ?

I qwould agree with robbhaas that the top bar Address, Media, To-Do and Research log ahould adopt the same model as the WebTags button showing the count and probably with the Media Button showing the total count of individual and event Media items.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

That's cool with me, vyger.

The total count on the media button could also include the source, citation, place and place details media.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8723 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic