9 replies to this topic

#1 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi Everyone
Im new to RootsMagic6 and a bit of a dim wit with technology, Im hoping someone can help me.
I have my own personal website built by a friend, and having used PAF for years bought RootsMagic a few months back, I love it.
But can I take my family tree from the roostmagic and upload it to my personal website, I would like my tree going directly onto my website. Can anyone show me how to do this please.
Regards
Murphy

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

You will need a file transfer utility to upload the RootsMagic-generated website files to your web host. The host may advise you on what file transfer utilities may be used. You will use either the RootsMagic Create HTML Files utility or Publish Online tool to generate the pages you desire. These files are written to a location you specify in your disk. Once generation is complete, you use your file transfer utility to find and send these files to their destination.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Many thanks for your reply Tom, I will pass the infomation on.
Regards
Murphy

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

In my case, I create the website files in RootsMagic, using either the "Publish online" or "Create HTML" functions. The files are created in the folder you specify when you create the website which itself is located the folder named in Tools->Program Options->Folders. Once the website files are created, I then bundle them up in a ZIP archive file. I upload this ZIP file to my webhost which automatically unZips the file and puts all the individual files where they belong. This is something my webhost does. I'm not sure if this is a standard feature or not.

#5 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Many thanks Don, I will pass this on to my host as well as Tom's reply.
Regards
Murphy

#6 Murphyslib

Murphyslib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hi TomH & Don
Further to my last posts on uploading to a personal website, the host for my website tried Don's method to upload my tree to my website, they managed this, but it just shows the tree which I cant edit.
I wanted all the features that RootsMagic 6 has like File,Edit,List, Add,Search Reoprts Tools Etc, so I could edit my tree or update information
Do you know how this can be achieved please.
Regards
Murphy

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

You cannot upload RootsMagic to a website and have an online version of RootsMagic with all its features. The websites that RootsMagic generates for upload to a web host are essentially a collection of linked reports, not a database. If you want to have an online database that gives you online editing and reporting features, you can match persons in your RootsMagic database to persons on FamilySearch Family Tree and upload persons not yet in FSFT. Once finished matching and transferring facts and sources, you could abandon RootsMagic and continue to work on FSFT but, remember, it is a public tree and anybody can work on the same persons; after all, its objective is one global database. Alternatively, you can export your RootsMagic database to a GEDCOM and upload it to one of the commercial online tree services such as Ancestry.com or MyHeritage.com. In any case, you will get a different set of features than what RootsMagic has and you may have to pay a subscription fee to get features you need and, very likely, there will be features you cannot get.

There is a very comprehensive list of online services under the category "Collaborative Family Trees" at http://www.cyndislis...ve-family-tree/. One level up from this page is the more general Genealogy Web Site Creation. Drill down and you will find RootsMagic listed under Genealogy Software That Generates Web Pages. I don't think these pages are completely up to date as there are broken links but it will give you an idea of the range of solutions possible.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

RootsMagic will run on your PC or off a flash drive with RootsMagic To-Go. You cannot install the program itself on a website to edit. You can only generate website pages and upload them. If you are looking to do edits to your RootsMagic file when away from home then you need to install RootsMagic To-Go on your flash drive to do that.

Running RootsMagic from a USB Drive with RootsMagic To-Go

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

I wanted all the features that RootsMagic 6 has like File,Edit,List, Add,Search Reoprts Tools Etc, so I could edit my tree or update information

If I understand what you are asking, you want a website that can be edited, essentially like having a copy of RootsMagic on the web? RootsMagic does not provide this. The websites are for presentation of your data, not editing. What you are looking for is a system called TNG (http://lythgoes.net/...gy/software.php) which implements genealogy websites with online editing, user accounts, etc.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Another program that will do that is PhpGedView - http://phpgedview.sourceforge.net/ . With these types of websites (TNG & PhpGedView) that you can edit you also need to make sure your web host will support them.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: website, personal, uploading