7 replies to this topic

#1 Cmin

Cmin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for a program that will create a genealogy book. I want to transfer my genealogy info from Legacy or Family Tree via a gedcom into a program that will let me edit, add photos and documents, create an index and bibliography. I will be importing between 600 and 1000 ancestors. Would Personal Historian do this?

Thank you,
Carol

#2 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Have you thought of doing a narrative type report in RM? It would be a good base to start your book on, since you would pick the ancestor and then do a 'modified register' of that person for whatever number of generations you would like. Once you have created that narrative, save it to your computer as an ".rtf" type of file. Then go into your word processor and open it up. You will be able to make any changes you want, including adjusting any sentence format so it reads the way you want it to, as well as add pictures and other documents where you would like them to be, create the index, bibliography and even your title pages.
Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8724 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Personal Historian will import a GEDCOM from other programs. Then you can select the people you wish to add to the database and write stories on. We have a webinar that shows you how Personal Historian 2 works.

25. What's New in Personal Historian 2

http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Cmin

Cmin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for a program that will create a genealogy book. I want to transfer my genealogy info from Legacy or Family Tree via a gedcom into a program that will let me edit, add photos and documents, create an index and bibliography. I will be importing between 600 and 1000 ancestors. Would Personal Historian do this?

Thank you,
Carol

Have you thought of doing a narrative type report in RM? It would be a good base to start your book on, since you would pick the ancestor and then do a 'modified register' of that person for whatever number of generations you would like. Once you have created that narrative, save it to your computer as an ".rtf" type of file. Then go into your word processor and open it up. You will be able to make any changes you want, including adjusting any sentence format so it reads the way you want it to, as well as add pictures and other documents where you would like them to be, create the index, bibliography and even your title pages.

The issue is not creating the report in a genealogy program, it's finding a word processing program that will allow me to edit after moving the info from from the genealogy program. Then adding many photos and documents. I'm using Microsoft word but experiencing problems with photos and captions moving to other pages after I have saved the file. The book I'm publishing is only 100 pages and my next book will probably be closer to 350 pages. I need a more dependable word processor program or a better understanding of Microsoft Word!

#5 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

When you insert your pictures and such, are you remembering to 'embed' them in Word? Sometimes creating a specific area for those items within your document will help 'anchor' them. If all else fails, go to the help area of Word, (F1), click on 'contents', and then scroll down to 'graphics and diagrams'. Perhaps this will help you get your added items to stay where you want them as well as to help with the formatting of the pages.

The issue is not creating the report in a genealogy program, it's finding a word processing program that will allow me to edit after moving the info from from the genealogy program. Then adding many photos and documents. I'm using Microsoft word but experiencing problems with photos and captions moving to other pages after I have saved the file. The book I'm publishing is only 100 pages and my next book will probably be closer to 350 pages. I need a more dependable word processor program or a better understanding of Microsoft Word!

Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8724 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

The biggest support issue we have with people using Personal Historian is problems generating the book. It ALWAYS boils down to the fact that the images are to large. So word to the wise, make sure as you create your book in PH that you use the smallest image file size possible for the amount needed to be viewable in a printed book.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3956 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

The truth is, Microsoft Word is pretty much the gold standard as far as word processing programs go. And even many of its competitors tend to emulate Word and to do things the same way that Word does things. But having said that, it can sometimes be devilishly difficult to get Word to make things look the way you want them to look. It tries to do your thinking for you, which is fine when it works and terrible when it doesn't work. When Word puts images and other graphics where it wants instead of where you want, it can be a truly difficult problem to get Word to do things your way.

In addition to the excellent suggestions about reading up on embedding things in Word and looking for Help on graphics and diagrams, you might also look for Help on boxes in Word. Putting graphics into boxes can make them easier to manage. Good luck.

Jerry

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1694 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Having troubles with MSWord GO to http://www.mvps.org/ and search for the issue you are having. These are non paid experts in Word. They helped a lot when I did a history book. Pictures additions were my biggest issues. Was solved by finding issues and how to fix on this site.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0