• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Teri

Teri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Which template do I use for adoption source citation? I've looked at both the "legal" and the various "court" templates and can't find one that fits with the information I have...which is the actual adoption papers. I have done numerous google searches for the proper format and find nothing. I'm sure Roots Magic has one...just please point me in the right direction! :-)

Thanks!

Teri

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you are looking for specific fields then you can copy a source template that is close and then add those fields to it.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Teri

Teri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

If you are looking for specific fields then you can copy a source template that is close and then add those fields to it.

Thanks Renee! Since I can not find what an adoption citation looks like, I have no idea what fields to look for. "Court Case Files, local" is the closest template I could find to what I thought should be it, but it asks for a file number which doesn't exist on any of the paperwork. A case number, yes, file number, no. If I could find an example somewhere I'd have a better idea what to do.

My husband and I are the adoptive parents so we have all the original papers.

Teri

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've never seen an adoption paper so I don't know what fields it needs. Hopefully other users have experience with that.

After you copy the source template you could always edit the case number to file number if it makes things more clear.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Teri

Teri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm surprised that, out of 85 people who have viewed this, not one has ever entered an adoption into their Roots Magic program. Should I repost under a better title? If so, what should it be? All I need to know is which template other people are using for adoption & I can go from there. :-)

Thanks!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

It's possible that the other users on the forums have never run into that situation or they are concerned that they are "not doing it right" either.

Post your question on the Mailing List where it will get a wider audience and hopefully a response.
http://www.rootsmagi...m/Mailing-List/
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 slimjim

slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi Teri I have entered an adoption into Rootsmagic but I suspect from your description that I did not have the volume of paper that you have. In my case I have a certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register and I simply treated in in the same way as a birth certificate copying out all the reference numbers and information. Of course this gives no information about the birth parents and for that an original birth certificate is required. I did not (do not) use templates for source citations so I was simply doing this free form.

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Sorry have not been on here as I moved across country and now unpacking. But I have several people that were adopted, I created my own bit of information as for documentation. They are family items as the parents said, not court documents. If I had the papers I would put in the citation, Who, What, When, Where, Why and How for the citation information. Even if you have the papers. I have guardianship papers and that is what I did. Free form including the 5 WWWWW's

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

W5H - that's the basics of evidence-based citations. You have to identify the source sufficiently for somebody else to track it down. So you need to state that is in the possession of your name, possibly address....

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Roberta_R

Roberta_R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Teri:

I entered my sons adoption sources as manuscripts and put for Collection put Adoption Certificate Commonwealth of Massachusetts; Facility was Superior Court;  Repository Collection was Boston, MA; Author was the son's name, Recipient was my husband and myself, Record ID was Adoption finalization, Record Date when the adoption was finalized, and MS number was the number on the adoption certificate. Hope this is helpful.

You could also do a Free Form template designed with limited fields.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adoption, citation, source