• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pathill

pathill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Having used Family Origins to produce 3 family genealogy books, I want to use it in the 4th book. On a new computer will it work with Windows 8? If the answer is "no", does Roots Magic have a Modified Register like the one in Family Origins?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

RootsMagic has all the reports Family Origins has and then some more. The only really drastic change in reports is the Custom report and tbat was for the better.

I don't know if Windows 8 will run Family Origins or not, but why continue a program that is defunct when you can upgrade to one so much better?
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

You cannot install FO from the cd onto Windows 7 so I doubt you can to Win8. However, you can copy the program files from an older Windows pc to Windows 7 and it works, more or less. I never made much use of it that way. I don't know if a copy to Win8 would work.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.