• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joepeh

joepeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

My database contains many people (Czechs) whose names have letters using diacritical marks e.g. š,ř,ě ... etc.
Typing of these characters requires switching to the Czech keyboard - not a simple process. I don't mind this inconvenience when entering the original data. However, when moving about the database using the INDEX column, it is cumbersome to have to switch to the Czech keyboard to enter one character, then back again for the remainder of the name.

Wouldn't it be possible to create an option which would allow use of the underlying English language character to search the INDEX? For example:
My family name in Czech is Pechoušek. I have several hundred Pechoušeks in my database. So when I want to use the INDEX to switch to Pechoušek, Vaclav ..... my keystroking stops at Pechou - and that places me at the beginning of the INDEX of the several hundred Pechoušeks, forcing me to scroll all the way down to Pechoušek, Vaclav. Couldn't there be an option I could set for my database which would allow me to type Pechousek, Vaclav and get to correct entry?

Thanks for consideration

Joe Pehoushek

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

My database contains many people (Czechs) whose names have letters using diacritical marks e.g. ¨,ř,ě ... etc.
Typing of these characters requires switching to the Czech keyboard - not a simple process. I don't mind this inconvenience when entering the original data.

For your original data entry, you could probably operate faster using the Character Map that RootsMagic opens when you press Ctrl-T.

For example:
My family name in Czech is Pechou¨ek. I have several hundred Pechou¨eks in my database. So when I want to use the INDEX to switch to Pechou¨ek, Vaclav ..... my keystroking stops at Pechou - and that places me at the beginning of the INDEX of the several hundred Pechou¨eks, forcing me to scroll all the way down to Pechou¨ek, Vaclav.

Have you tried typing Pechou,V (when you type comma, RM then starts looking for first names beginning with the next letter after the comma) ?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Have you tried typing Pechou,V (when you type comma, RM then starts looking for first names beginning with the next letter after the comma) ?

I did a test in my database with lots of French-Canadian names that also have diacriticals, and this suggestion did not appear to work.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I did a test in my database with lots of French-Canadian names that also have diacriticals, and this suggestion did not appear to work.

Oh well, back to the wishing well.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Oh well, back to the wishing well.

Fortunately, being optimistic and visiting the wishing well doesn't cost us anything....

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

My issue with the extended Latin characters (e.g. C-cedilla, "Ç") is that they are indexed oddly in websites. I could understand if they were handled as separate characters grouped together or indexed along with the base character (e.g. C). But RM tries to do both. They are indexed along with C but every time one is encountered RM creates another indexing block.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic