1 reply to this topic

#1 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Would like to know a little more about how CountyCheck sources the comparison information for generation of the report content.
What data base is being used and how it interrelates the dates of a governmental jurisdiction into the report results.
I keep getting a incorrect result in the report which appears to reverse a 'created' date and a 'eliminated' date.
Specific example is
Event Date in my data base: "abt Sep 1852 in Oatmeal, Burnet, Texas, United States"
Result from CountryCheck List: "Error: Burnet was eliminated on 27 June 1842." and then a list of almost every county in Texas as a suggestion.
Burnet County, Texas was created in 1852 and still exists today. The unincorporated of Oatmeal has been in existences continuously since before 1852. So I'm not understanding how to interperate the results generated by CountryCheck.
Any background and details on this particular function/report to better understand what is being created would be great. Thanks, Ed
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Although Burnet County was created on 5 Feb 1852 by the Texas Legislature, it apparently wasn't organized officially into a county until 7 Aug 1854 according to a number of sources online (it obviously takes time after politicians declare something before they become truly enacted). Dates after 6 Aug 1854 are accepted by RootsMagic for that county name.

BTW, we users have speculated that RootsMagic may be using:

https://familysearch...ndardLookup.jsp

Standard Finder - Version: 1.6.11

Place version: 4.18.0.1

Name version: 4.10.1

Date version: 1.6.7

Standard Lib code version: 1.6.7

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N