10 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

I recently send a GEDCOM to a friend. There were 489 individuals within that GEDCOM that had an image tied to a person. I would really like to be able to export the images that refer to the persons in an exported file. I couldn't send the entire file of images for it consists of over 17,000+ images.

While I'm at it, let me incorporate another wish. I have several dozen files, all of which have images within. When I add an image, I have to go to another folder to enter it. The PROGRAM OPTIONS only allows a single IMAGE FOLDER. I wish that option was contained within a FILE OPTION. I have more that 17,000 images which I have assigned to 14 different folders and would like to be able to set the image folder in the file options. Crazy, huh? Not when you have dozens of image assignments during a single session.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

On the first point, you could use the Create a CD-ROM function to generate a folder containing the subset of your database with associated images in a single sub-folder. You could then open this database file with your full RM, not the limited version included in the CD-ROM master folder, and export everyone to GEDCOM. Throw the GEDCOM into the CD folder, zip it all up and send it off, either to CD-ROM or via Internet. He will receive a usable, limited functionality RootsMagic with which he can open your partial database and see the images. I don't remember if this application supports exporting a GEDCOM which is why I suggested you generate it and include it in the bundle.

Another approach would be to drag'n'drop your selected persons to a new database. Export the GEDCOM from this database. Use the procedures I described at pages beginning "Backup Media with Database..." at http://sqlitetoolsfo...tent?tag=backup then add the GEDCOM to the ZIP/RAR file and send it.

In either case, the destination software will need to remap the paths to the media files in their final destinations, most easily done if the structure is preserved below a common root.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

On your second wish, have you tried putting all 17 folders under a common root and then setting the program folder option to this root path? When you create a new database, the first time you add media, you should see the folders and create/select the appropriate one. I'm not sure, but the database file might remember the image path last used but maybe your wish is motivated by your experience that it does not.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Of the options in Program Options, I can live with them all but having a separate folder for "A Photos," B Photos," "C Photos," etc. is really the way I'd like to handle it. Call me lazy but I feel that if a similar option can be offered in one case, it should be able to be adapted in another.

#5 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Regarding photos on a CD for a particular (non-repeatable) file, this sounds like a lot of work trying to incorporate this request in RM code. My photo files (at least three of them) are larger than the capacity of a CD anyway. That cancels out the opportunity to make a global change to a text version of my GEDCOM. It just doesn't appear that my friends will ever enjoy pictures of their ancestors.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Don't be deterred by the limited capacity of the CD-ROM. The collection in the intermediate folder on the hard drive can be as large as needed. Then you can ZIP it, or not, and transfer it to/via any medium that can handle it. You described a 489 person database which is tiny. Only the image files tagged to those persons will be copied to the intermediate folder.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Create a Shareable CD from the small GEDCOM file your created for the person. It will include all the correct images. Then they can remove the images off the CD along with a copy of your database and save it to their computer. They would only need to use Lists>Media Gallery>Tools>Fix broken media links afterwards to relocate the files.

If you want you could save the Shareable CD files to your computer without burning and then pull out the image folder to give them. Then just send them a backup. That might make it easier on their end.

Under Tools>Program Options>Folders>Multimedia files I have ".\" (without quotes) there. That will tell the computer to use the last folder open in windows when adding new media.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Under Tools>Program Options>Folders>Multimedia files I have ".\" (without quotes) there. That will tell the computer to use the last folder open in windows when adding new media.

I'm going to change the subject so radically that I wonder if i really should start a new thread. Renee's comment that I just quoted may explain a long standing mystery that sometimes happens to me while using RM-To-Go (see, I told you it was a radical change of subject).

Under Tools->Program Options-Folders the RM-To-Go data files folder is set to .\data by default. When I open a database file from RM-To-Go, I have an expectation and the program usually opens a database from the X:\RootsMagic-6\Data folder, where X is replaced by the drive letter where my USB flash drive is installed. I think the purpose of the .\ thing in this context is to take care of the case where the drive letter may change as the USB flash drive is moved from machine to machine to machine.

But sometimes when I open a database from RM-To-Go, it tries to open a database from some folder other than X:\RootsMagic-6\Data but still on the flash drive. And when it does, the other folder is one I have visited recently from RM-to-Go for some purpose other than opening a database. And sometimes the other folder I have visited recently is one that contains older backkup copies of my RM databases, so I end up opening the wrong database by mistake. It's a devilishly nasty error.

I'll have to wait to recreate the problem to report any further details. But I promise it does happen occasionally.

I don't know if the .\ thing is a Windows thing or an RM thing. Either way, my suspicion is that there are a few file types used by RM other than RMGC which use the "RootsMagic data files" folder, and that it's one of those other file types which is causing the problem.

Jerry

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

The ".\" thingy is from/by the operating system; you'll see "./" in others. I think it means stay in the current folder whereas "..\" means go up one level. Used for relative addressing (search the forum for many prior discussions of this topic). The unexpected change in folders you have witnessed in portable RootsMagic is something that I have observed and reported long ago in the main RM. I thought it was purely a RM foible/error/bug and still do. Somebody needs to go through all the code and determine where all path variables get defined, modified and used - I'm sure there is some confusion and it needs to be rectified.

#10 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

What I really wanted to do is change the case in one fell swoop. Thanks for the reply

#11 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

If CD capacity is too small for my dbs I use DVD.
Jack

a posteriori

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Images, image folders, Export