4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3100 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Another popular genealogy program allows for lifting of Place co-ordinates directly from Bing in its Place UI.

Can Renee or anyone else say if this involves any further expense on the part of the software vendor or is this currently a very useful feature that RM is simply missing?

Even if Rootsmagic provided the facility to accept a direct paste of the format [40.165363,-111.610687] into Place and Place Details it would be a helpful step in the right direction. However I would still remain hopeful that lifting geocoding directly from Bing like the other piece of software will become a reality.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Personally, I'd like to have a choice of which map service I use, Bing or Google. For the record, I prefer Google.
Jack

a posteriori

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3100 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I think there is a cost implication with Google but not so sure about Bing so I was hoping Renee could get an explanation.

As I said it is possible and would be a great help, I am just wondering is there some barrier to incorporating it.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7769 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

The RootsMagician didn't think Bing would charge for that (Google Maps would). Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3100 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

The RootsMagician didn't think Bing would charge for that (Google Maps would). Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Really good news, from previous discussions I believe it will be a very popular enhancement. :)

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root