• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have used Roots Magic for years and love it! I have a network with a home server attached that I would like to store all of my data & media files on and be able to access it from either of the two computers in our home. The program files will be on each local machine. Will this give me any grief?
I also intend to sync all of these files to the more powerful of the two machines which is connected to an online back up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Will this give me any grief?
I also intend to sync all of these files to the more powerful of the two machines which is connected to an online back up.

Not if you don't open them from more than one machine at a time (there will be a slight increase in access and processing times due to network latency).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

I don't htink the netork will have any trouble keeping up with me. :)

#4 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I use a similar approach, keeping a Synced copy of all my Rootsmagic files - including backups, reports and media - on a networked server (NAS) but running the 'live' database from the hard disk of each of my computers.

My set up comprises a 'Seagate Goflex Home' NAS (though obviously any similar kit will do) to which I sync (wirelessly) my files using 'Goodsync' as my backup software since this provides a range of comprehensive and flexible options. I set this up to sync i) on connection (ie bootup of any of my PCs) and ii) on any file change (ie any change in a data item, new media or report etc). You can set up the system such that any data conflict - say a older file trying to sync over a newer one - will prompt you about a potential problem and also to retain duplicate copies of any overwritten files etc to avoid any disasters!

The sync works both ways such that if the PC holds the most up to date data it will copy any updated files to the server. If the Server holds the most up to date data (synced from a previous connection to a different PC) then the latest file versions will be synced to the connected PC. In this way you are always working with the latest set of files. In the unlikely even you inadvertently update files on different PCs without ensuring that each is synced to the NAS, the sync program will signal a potential data conflict which it then offers you the opportunity to correct.

In order that Rootsmagic can find the media files etc it is important that the folder structure is the same on each PC and the server.

As a longstop, I also periodically sync a second copy of all my data to a different partition of my NAS (ie a one-way back up) so I can be sure that if something untoward should occur I don't lose everything. However, given that you have working copies of your data on each PC it is unlikely this will be required.

Since Rootsmagic is actually using the hard disk of each PC to store data this data then syncing any data changes real time to the server, there is no detrimental impact on the usability of the program. It also has the advantage over simply setting Rootsmagic to save data direct to the NAS that if the NAS fails you also have another copy of all your data on each PC.