#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

What am I doing wrong?
I have tried clicking on the media button when entering a source & tried just highlighting the line I would like to connect the media image (i.e.: attempting to connect a picture to a particular event) to but neither seems to create a green check mark in the image box next to the event.
Apparently I am not going about linking the media to the event correctly(?).
Please respond ASAP & if possible directly to susieqk@cox.net
Thank you.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

You mention linking media to a source and also linking media to an event. Which is it that you are trying to do?

If you link media to an event, the green check mark for the media will appear next to the event in the Edit Person screen. If you link media to a source, you will then connect the source to an event. In this case, there will be a green checkmark next the source for the event but not for the media for the event. To find the media you will have to open the source and then click on the media tab. There is no way to tell if there is going to be any media there until you get there. On the one hand, many media files really ought to be connected to the source instead of the the media. But having connected the media to the source in what might seem to be the most logical fashion, said media file can almost seem to disappear. It still there and it's still linked. But it's impossible to know that it's linked without going through the steps I have just outlined.

An additional complication is that when media is "linked to a source", the media can be linked either to the Master Source or to the Source Details, or to both. It can be kind of tricky to know what you are linking media to - to the Master Source, to the Source Details, or to both.

Finally, my description so far has left one whole half of the discussion. Which is to say that you can link events and sources to media, and you can also go in the other direction and link media to events and sources (and to lots of other things as well). When you go in this direction, the process is called tagging. You will just have to play with both directions and see which direction you prefer. You do the tagging from the Lists->Media Galery dialog.

I'm probably more critical than most users about both interfaces. I think the user interface could use some major improvements in both directions. But both directions are certainly usable.

Jerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, media box not ticked off, tick marks, tic marks, associating media w/event