Photo

A more tolerant AutoMerge for Sources (+ an interim utility)

sources automerge sources automerge wish list sqlite

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Requesting that there be a "loose" option for Sources AutoMerge found on the Source List. Currently, sources must be identical in every respect for AutoMerge to merge them, except it may be case-insensitive. The Master Source name, Template used, Source Comments and Text must be absolutely the same - not one character can differ. A trailing space character or line feed in one that is not in the other is enough for AutoMerge to leave them alone.

I would like to see a checklist of items from which the user may select as mandatory matches. Master Source Name would be an obvious one to make elective.

Additionally, comparison of the Source Text and Source Comments should ignore white space differences and compare only the non-blank characters.

I am sure this should be feasible with some slight tweaks of the current Source AutoMerge procedure. Until this feature becomes available, I offer a SQLite script that does a similar job, described at Sources - Merge Duplicate Masters

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sources, automerge, sources automerge, wish list, sqlite