4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

The on-line FSFT website Changes log shows the value from the event Description field but the RootsMagic display of that log does not. I think it should.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Could you give me the FS ID for a person with the Change log with an event Description field change.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

See https://familysearch...person=299M-J8V.
Near the bottom of the list you see Occupation added. This was via Share data from RM. "Flesher" was in the RM event Description and is displayed in Changes on FSFT. But RM's display of Changes does not show "Flesher".
Above that, you see Residence added. Six changes above that you see Residence changed with the addition of "28 Clark St, Kinning Park" in the FSFT Description field. But that Description is not shown in the RM display of Changes, just that a change occurred.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

I can confirm what you are describing. I don't know when FamilySearch added the ability to add descriptions to facts through the FT API. That might have been part of the update made this week. In testing I see you can't add a death description. It appears that only events under the "Other Information" section will display a description.

Since we didn't know this was added we didn't know to have the change log display this information. I am adding it to our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

It is laughable and disconcerting that FS seems to enact changes to the FT API without even informing its partners. I hope the RootsMagician gives them a piece of his mind, no hold that, he needs all of it, rather gives them a going over and seeks to get the Description transfer enabled for all event types.

I'm rather late to FSFT and a light user so I did not know that I had stumbled upon a new feature.

Edit: not so new feature. See pg 52 of the 29 May 2013 User Guide. Image shown is for a Custom Event but applies to most "Other" events. Question is why is Description not enabled for Vital events?

Edited by TomH, 07 August 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FamilySearch Family Tree, Changes log