• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Stout

Jim Stout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

When I use my installation disc to load RM3 on my Windows 7 system, I enter the registration keys provided by Bruce. Then the software asks if I want to use a limited edition or do I want to buy the program. I already bought the program,. If RM3 will not run on Win 7, how does one import RM3 data into RM6 on Windows 7?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

RM3 will run on Windows 7. You need to enter your registration key to unlock the program for the full version. It should be an option on the first screen to appear. Just make sure on Windows 7 that you do not store your database file in the program files.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jim Stout

Jim Stout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

You say confidently that RM3 will run on Windows 7. RM3 won't even load correctly, let alone run, on my Windows 7. The problem, or one of the problems, is that the registration key provided by your office is rejected. This registration key is found with my RM3 distribution disk and matches the key you display on the list of my several software purchases.

You have also suggested that I move certain unidentified files to other unidentified folders. Is it your belief that the inoperative registration key issue will be resolved by moving some files?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3968 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just some suggestions - I never used RM3 although I may have evaluated it, skipping from Family Origins 9 over all the intervening versions to RootsMagic 4.
  • Uninstall RootsMagic 3.
  • Download and install the latest RootsMagic 3 update (3.2.6) from http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/ - I don't know how it handles the registration key but it might be advisable to install RM in a folder over which you have full control, not under the Programs (x86) folder.
  • Set up your RM3 working folders for the database, GEDCOMs, reports , ... where you have full control.

Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have RM3 running on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. It is installed in the Program Files (x86).

You can also do a direct download from here - http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-3/

It is possible you are not using the right Name with the key that you registered. Some of our RM3 keys require that the name be exact. You will want to contact Sales or email Support@RootsMagic.com to have us look up your registration information.

The only reason I mentioned to not store your database files inside the program files is because after you install and have the program up and running you are going to need to make sure you're not doing that. If you were it would cause issues and you would still think the program didn't install correctly.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

I am using Windows 7. Follow Tom's suggestions.

I have RM 3 installed at My programs/RootsMagic 3. My databases are at RM 3 data/[Name of Database].

Unless you are going to use RM 3 to answer questions on the board, you don't really need it.

RM 6 will convert the RM 3 database to a RM 6 database. Just make sure you have all the files that make up a RM 3 database in one folder on your Windows 7 computer's hard drive. The data folders should not be in the same folder as the program files.

On YouTube, you can watch Importing RootsMagic 3 into Later Versions of RootsMagic on the RootsMagicTV channel.

Or, watch Webinar #1 on RootsMagic's website.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-